whats the difference - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default whats the difference

Between Methodist and baptist? Or some of the other churches?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Snapper

Send a message via Yahoo to robbiewoodcutter

how fast you get to the buffet line
robbiewoodcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Snapper

Send a message via Yahoo to robbiewoodcutter

oh yea by the way you forgot those best ,,,southern babptist
robbiewoodcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiewoodcutter View Post
oh yea by the way you forgot those best ,,,southern babptist
Didn't forget, just curious as to what beliefs are different
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I went to a Methodist church when I was young....Funny thing, I was in elementary school in New Orleans and for 3 to 4 years I went to church. I went, my parents didn't go...I went by myself. Kinda funny sounding now and can't imagine a child going to church w/ out parents. Then as I got older, I started going to a Baptist church and now attend Pilgrims Rest Baptist Church. Can't tell you the difference though. When I went to KY to hunt, I attended a Church of Christ and there are differences there....Church of Christ don't have musical instruments, they have communion (bread/blood) every Sunday where Baptist dont. As long as GOD is their focus and the Bible is their base, it's all good....

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Grand Slam

This is really a fishing question because there are lot's of similarities and lot's of differences. You have the historical differences, theological differences and the practical differences. Add to that the differences between just Baptist groups and just Methodist groups and you really have a good discussion. The simple answer is that there is a difference in polity (church government) in doctrine (primarily baptism method) and in practice (alcohol, evangelism, social justice issues.) But...that is a way too simplified answer to take as your answer. Basically, the two denominations are more like brothers than neighbors, if that makes sense.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Grand Slam

And to be fair...I wouldn't give you a dollar for the faith of some "Southern Baptists" I know, and I wouldn't trade a million dollars for the faith of some others. Overall, SBC are good peeps. Yeah, they have some real ugly spots, but as a whole I am excited about what God is doing through them.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
This is really a fishing question because there are lot's of similarities and lot's of differences. You have the historical differences, theological differences and the practical differences. Add to that the differences between just Baptist groups and just Methodist groups and you really have a good discussion. The simple answer is that there is a difference in polity (church government) in doctrine (primarily baptism method) and in practice (alcohol, evangelism, social justice issues.) But...that is a way too simplified answer to take as your answer. Basically, the two denominations are more like brothers than neighbors, if that makes sense.

I really would not consider myself either one at this point... I guess I would consider myself basically a christian cause I believe but do not really consider any particular church my church..... one of the chit chat discussions I would like to have while fishing sometime... but I guess since my brother and I are both seeking the same thing, it doesnt matter if he comes to my house to visit or I go to my brothers house to visit... right?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Snapper

I was raised basically going to the Presbyterian Church, spent a good deal of time in and out. Spent time in a Methodist Church while in Tennessee. Went "church shopping" for a while. Considered converting to Catholicism but, changed my mind. Went to a couple of different churches in Louisiana and now, well now, I'm different.
I found some churches where in order to be "saved" you need to learn to speak in tongues. I couldn't find a direct scriptural reference that convinced me of that so, I moved on.
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. To me the key lies in a couple of different passages. Some churches put considerable emphasis on this, others seem to gloss over it.
"The Church", is not the building or doctrine, it is the members, it is you. If you do some digging, you will see the Church defined as Christ's body and we are part of his body, therefore, we are the Church. When it is clear to you as "The Church", you will find that the denomination is of little importance. What is the key is you and your relationship with your Saviour. There are many "Churches" out there that will fulfill your spiritual needs. I've often thought that one of the key problems with Christianity is "religion" but, then, like I said, I'm different but I am comfortable with my relationship though I'm sure there are many who would question it.
Once you find it, you will not be able to let it go and you will marvel at what goes on around you that you were not aware of.
Some call it "indwelling".
The peace that surpasses all understanding.

John 3:16 John 14:6
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Snapper

Default Why I love this section

Seems like when there are posts either challenging or questioning, I end up learning. I prefer the questioning as I get tired of chastising attacks.
This question caused me to dig to try and find some information to pass on. I know what I have but, have difficulty finding it in print. The results more than ever open my eyes to the benefits of the different beliefs. As I said, I almost converted at one time but, didn't.
I was looking for an answer to explain (or show me where I may have gotten my belief). Every time I googled "Holy Spirit", I got a page with lots of pictures and no verbiage.
Finally, I got a link to "About.com" religion and spirituality/Catholicism and there it was: "The Gifts of the Holy Spirit The Manifestation of Sanctifying Grace".
We receive them when we are infused with Sanctifying Grace or as I think I had heard it, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
The gifts are listed in Isiah 11 2-3. Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and Fear of the Lord (respect if you don't like the word fear).
The section I found in About.com does some explaining as to what each of these gifts means.
The beauty of all this is, you don't have to be Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran or any other specific denomination. I personally think that there are some strong non-denominational assemblies that meet the needs as well as (and in some cases better) than long established ones.

I encourage you to just keep looking. If you get a chance, listen to Charles Stanley, he was instrumental in my "search" he is on TV and radio, In Touch or Adrian Rogers "Love Worth Finding".

Go to different churches. The differences are not that important. Finding one that "fits" is. They are out there. I'll try to dig up a post from a member that, if I was in your area would be one I'd like to try.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in