Non Denominational Churches - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Non Denominational Churches

I was wondering if there were any non denominational churches in the Gulf Breeze or Navarre area. My 11 yr old son has told me that he would like to go to church. With him living with his mom and her being an atheist, the only way he will be able to have the experience is when he is at my house. I'm not real big on religion but I am spiritual (if that makes since). My ex and I are fully supportive and have never tried to convince him otherwise. I would just like it to be a non denominational church if possible.
acoustifunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
White Marlin

I have attended a non-denominational church all of my life in Mobile and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I've been to all of the others with friends and it just didn't cut it for me. Good luck with the search and glad to hear the youngin wants to go!
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Snapper

There have been some excellent comments about the "Harvest Church". From what I have read, it might offer something your son. You might even get something out of it. I saw a thread and will bring it up to check out.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Why nondenominational? All churches have a set theology. Some just come out and say they share a belief system with others. Even most nondenominational churches will tell you the lean one direction or another. Most lean toward penticostal or Baptist. A few lean toward more liberal leaning denominations. I would let him go wherever he felt more comfortable. If I were in your shoes I would likely talk to the pastor or youth director of different churches. I would also look for a place that focuses on teaching more than emotion or pushing beliefs.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Snapper

Well I assumed that nondenominational churches didn't have a set denomination. I like the idea of talking to different pastors and youth directors or some info. I don't think I will get much out of it due to my beliefs but I do want to support my son on his.
acoustifunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustifunk View Post
Well I assumed that nondenominational churches didn't have a set denomination. I like the idea of talking to different pastors and youth directors or some info. I don't think I will get much out of it due to my beliefs but I do want to support my son on his.
"Non-denominational" is actually the denomination of a non-denominational church. A denomination is simply a grouping of beliefs. In other words, the theology and type of leadership structure of a church or a group of churches are identified by the denomination. It is similar to our US currency which has denominations to identify it's value and use. A $5 bill and a $10 bill are in the same category of "US currency" but have different values. They are similar but different. A counterfeit bill has a denomination, too, but it is not considered "US currency" because there are core differences in the substance of the bill. In the same way, we make distinctions between religions, denominations, and cults. All three of these groupings define the various faith groups found throughout the world. Lot's of good church in the Gulf Breeze area. My suggestion is to go to a few and see what you think.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Grouper

My opinion after visiting several Non Denominational churches is that they appeared to just be Southern Baptist churches with a band ( instead of a choir) and an on site coffee chop who's pastor wore jeans and a blazer instead of a suit and tie. Marketing to a younger crowd.

Not bashing it just that was my impression.
RockB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Around here they speek in tongues and dance in the isles but some of the women have short hair and wear pants.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted (Razr Maxx)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustifunk
I was wondering if there were any non denominational churches in the Gulf Breeze or Navarre area. My 11 yr old son has told me that he would like to go to church. With him living with his mom and her being an atheist, the only way he will be able to have the experience is when he is at my house. I'm not real big on religion but I am spiritual (if that makes since). My ex and I are fully supportive and have never tried to convince him otherwise. I would just like it to be a non denominational church if possible.
I would have to agree with Johnf, spoony, and flcaptainbill with the descriptions given of a non denominational church.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in