Noah's Ark - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Default Noah's Ark

I apologize if my question is out of place. As a Catholic I always wondered if Noah's Ark was a parable or truth. (believe it or not, I was too afraid to ask.... a lot of Catholithism is based on guilt).

I always thought it was a parable.

There's a movie coming out about it.

Wondering what other Christians believe?

Jim

Last edited by jim t; 03-25-2014 at 01:06 AM.
jim t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
The Plant Guy
Trigger

From an unaffiliated protestant viewpoint I think it's true although I think that a deeper look at the literature is important to understand the context.

Considering that there are multiple flood myths from that region in a similar time period it leads me to believe it took place, however I also believe that the 'entire world' in those days would be more akin to the writer's idea of what the entire world was rather than what we know of it today.

So I think it was a regional catastrophe. As far as the purpose of the flood, it's also a can of worms. It could be just as written or it could be that we find purpose to all things that happen in life that we can't easily explain, or it could be a mixture of both.

I do believe the bible but at the same time I also look at it from a literary perspective and treat it the way it was meant. Genesis wasn't written in a way to be picked apart like a history book for a timeline or exact historical accuracy, even though christians have treated it that way for centuries. The thing is in doing so I think we often miss the most important part, the lessons learned from each story.
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
White Marlin

Something happened. Too many cultures share this story. Almost every continent. Lots of similarities. Low lying areas, like Mesopatamia are the most common location of these stories. Maybe a result of the post-Glacial period. Lots of places got inundated inside of 1,000 years. This may be all there was to it but all you would have to do is throw in one good Tsunami and it would make quite an impression. We learned from the Sumatra Tsunami that they can affect multiple continents at one time. The wave from Krakatau went around the earth three times and even up the Thames River in England. It didn't cause a lot of devastation in Europe but if the earth's water level had been higher.

This one really happened. Now, question is.....did a bunch of people get tipped off or did some people just see the water continuing to rise and start building out of instinct. There was a tribe in the Andaman Islands who lived on the beach but didn't lose a soul during the Tsunami and they don't even have a one phone or TV in the whole tribe. Seems they had been passing stories down about this type of event for 1,000s of years. When it started, they already knew what was happening....unlike all the educated tourists who curiously walked out onto the beach when the tide receded prior to the monster waves.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I should add. I was raised Roman Catholic, but now I'm agnostic.

I live though by my learned Christian tenets and "Pascal's wager"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

Jim
Old 03-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Sailfish

I don't know.
The thought of putting 2 of every animal that roamed the earth at the time, outside of sea creatures on a small boat is hard to fathom.
Say it did happen, and the animals reproduced , it would of ended up being some serious inbreeding.
My time on a cattle farm taught me that inbreeding produces poor results. And this applies to the human race in biblical terms, as we are all here from only 2 people. Adam and Eve.
I am sure the world was covered in saltwater at one time. I have found sharks teeth in the hills of North Alabama. Dinosaurs did roam the earth once, they dig up bones to prove so.
I was raised Baptist, and as I got older, I started asking questions based on logical thinking. I was basically told to accept things and not question them and really never got a factual answer.
A lot of things I don't understand and never will.

What I did learn is God is a mean person. How many people drowned during this great flood, including children that did not understand what was going on?

Why would God forgive a cold blooded killer and sit by and allow some sick Bastard to rape and kill a child? He can heal the sick of Cancer, but can't stop a 1 year old from being beat to death. "Good" people die everyday and pieces of shit continue to live on.
What about the non- Christians? The Jewish don't believe in the resurrection of Christ and he was a Jew himself. Are the Jews condemned to Hell? The remote tribes in Africa that never have seen a electric light and worship a basketball that washed up on the beach. Are they condemned to Hell?

The Christian belief along with the Bible is a great way to live. The 10 commandments mean a lot to me and I try and live by them. Personally, I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I think when you are dead, you are simply just gone.

Sorry for the post derail.
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO-NUFF View Post
I don't know.
The thought of putting 2 of every animal that roamed the earth at the time, outside of sea creatures on a small boat is hard to fathom.
Say it did happen, and the animals reproduced , it would of ended up being some serious inbreeding.
My time on a cattle farm taught me that inbreeding produces poor results. And this applies to the human race in biblical terms, as we are all here from only 2 people. Adam and Eve.
I am sure the world was covered in saltwater at one time. I have found sharks teeth in the hills of North Alabama. Dinosaurs did roam the earth once, they dig up bones to prove so.
I was raised Baptist, and as I got older, I started asking questions based on logical thinking. I was basically told to accept things and not question them and really never got a factual answer.
A lot of things I don't understand and never will.

What I did learn is God is a mean person. How many people drowned during this great flood, including children that did not understand what was going on?

Why would God forgive a cold blooded killer and sit by and allow some sick Bastard to rape and kill a child? He can heal the sick of Cancer, but can't stop a 1 year old from being beat to death. "Good" people die everyday and pieces of shit continue to live on.
What about the non- Christians? The Jewish don't believe in the resurrection of Christ and he was a Jew himself. Are the Jews condemned to Hell? The remote tribes in Africa that never have seen a electric light and worship a basketball that washed up on the beach. Are they condemned to Hell?

The Christian belief along with the Bible is a great way to live. The 10 commandments mean a lot to me and I try and live by them. Personally, I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I think when you are dead, you are simply just gone.

Sorry for the post derail.

I couldn't agree more!
acoustifunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Sho-Nuff, I think you may have heard some bad theology...or at least seen some poor examples of Christianity in the churches you grew up in. I certainly respect your right to view things as you do, but if you ever wanted a better explanation of why God is not a "mean" God, I'd love to sit down with you and maybe make some sense out of it all. It isn't an internet conversation. The offer is there whenever or if you desire to take it. Best to you.
Katartizo likes this.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Jim, historically, Christians view the story as a literal story. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense as just a mythical story (and it certainly doesn't makes sense in light of a proper Biblical hermeneutic). That said, the movie is quite inaccurate when compared to the biblical story.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Spooney,

As a Catholic we did not spend much time on the old testament. I can see the mean God thing. We just never really studied the Old Testament, so it was sorta a mystery. Basically Genesis was a parable to try to introduce Christianity... then we were on to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, and guilt.

Guilt was big in the 60s and 70s.

Then "purgatory" and "limbo" really bothered me. Come to find out both are locally taught and perhaps not doctrine.

Jim
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Lot's of people grew up guilty. That is one of the main reasons people reject God, and the church. Not that we are innocent, but guilt is only part of the story. Churches are often guilty of proclaiming "christian moralism" and forget that grace is the way we find God...through faith.

On the topic of the Old Testament, according to Jesus it is still valid and needed for today. The Old Testament is the key to understanding the New Testament. The two must be read in light of each other. This is partly why people misunderstand God. They take a few passages and try to understand them apart from the rest of the bible. There is actually a very plain, easy to understand meta narrative found in the scriptures. When you see it...you won't necessarily have faith, but you will at least have a basic understanding of the big picture.
Grassflatsfisher likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in