How many religions...just asking...got info? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Like Tree3Likes

Old 02-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Mingo

Default How many religions...just asking...got info?

So I'm curious bible student and do my best to read the bible daily...I'm wondering that we have (in this world) hundreds, thousands of religions/sects, etc, perhaps about 10 main religions with a considerable number of believers, but......not all of them can be a true religion and what are the MARKS or traits of the TRUE religion?

For example, at one time, there was only ONE religion...period. As there was only one language...before God confused the people and all parted there ways...I believe I read this occurred when the Tower of Babel was being constructed by Nimrod who wanted to keep all the people together...which of course was not in line with God's purpose of filling the earth...sooo...how do you know you have the right religion?

Did Jesus set the example of what that true religion was by the example he sent while he was on earth?

Curious to hear others thoughts...

Peace to all...

Cheers
Charlie
Charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Snapper

I believe there is only one even today. The ONE Christ shed His blood for. When one confesses to obey and live by His Commandments.
13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

Peter's Great Confession
Matthew Chapter 16 : 13
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I will further say that just because you see The Christ of Church name on the outside of the building does not make it His Church. You need to step inside and see if the church is obeying His commands.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Mingo

Excellent point purple haze...God's word the bible speaks truth...I find that a religion that practices what Jesus Christ, the son of the true God, God Almighty, Jesus being the first born of creation (Colossians 1:15)...well what was one of his last standing commands that applies to his day...I read and believe this to be Matt 28:19: "Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit."

I read the book (Gospel of Matthew) and determined that Jesus had an active ministry where he and his apostles (disciples) followed him in preaching and teaching...I believe I read they were sent out by two's...to me this is a sign or rather a model of what he started back some 2,000 years ago to continue to end of the conclusion of this system of things...which oh by the way, according to his sign of what the last days are...well they are recorded as I read in Matt 24: 4-8:" In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you,+ 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.+ 6 You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet.+ 7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom,+ and there will be food shortages+ and earthquakes in one place after another.+ 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress."

Today, yes, these things have occurred and are occurring, this is the sign of the last days as foretold, my belief...

it was also foretold, that false prophets would arise and be present...misleading...I see that too...

About "hell" my belief and what the bible really teaches...is that there is no such place...1 John 4:8: relays that "God is Love" and reading the bible it depicts God as merciful and a loving God, yes, he disciplines, but does so in love and not eternal torment...think about it...Adam and the woman, who was later called Eve named by Adam, after they sinned...well did they go to "hell"...God's word the bible says "No"...God said from dust you were formed and dust you shall return...

Once a person is dead...they are dead, with no consciousness at all...I believe the scripture at Ecclesiates 9:5 captured this: "For the living know* that they will die,+ but the dead know nothing at all,+ nor do they have any more reward,* because all memory of them is forgotten." It does not make sense that a God of Love would make a "hell" a place where one is to be tormented or burned for eternity...they just die and go back to dust...in which we are formed.

I bring this up because I know of several peers that truly believe "hell" exist only because of that's what they keep hearing, but the bible give no indication that the God of Love has made such a place and made it clear we return to dust until the day of judgement when there will be a resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous...

Hope this makes sense...I surely have to read this again...as I am typing as fast as I can=)

Cheers Charlie

Feedback welcomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
Snapper

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

God is a loving, but remember also what He did in the OT to Sodom and Gomorrah.
We have several examples of The apostle Paul making his missionary journeys with three or more.
We call Matt 28 19&20 The Great Commission
purple haze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Until I read the bible through 2x's, my recollection will not be great.....but I will say as I am working through it now----There is a definite hell. When folks rebelled against GOD and were stricken w/ death/disease/plague/punishment towards offspring due to not trusting GOD these individuals are not at the side of GOD, so like PH advised about the lake of fire is where they'd be. I cannot even comprehend the days of Moses....with all the signs that Jesus supplied and the folks that still didn't trust in the word is astonishing but that also makes me think about today's "miracles" that are just brushed off and no glory is given to GOD. I have my own stories and are my signs of GOD working in my life.

Now belief of the 2nd coming....When folks turn their back on their father, the land will become a Sodom and Gomorrah and that is what is happening. Government has turned against the teachings. Now will it happen in 50 years-100-200, only GOD knows but I AM READY IF IT WAS TODAY---that is what keeps me chugging along. I try to speak to folks and sow some seeds that hopefully may blossom into followers but in no way shape or form am I a "perfect" christian (there is no such creature). I do my best with struggles and vices, and ask forgiveness for issues that arise in my life as I pray you do also.

Really to answer your question about how do I know I have the right religion? I guess that would go back to when the spirit moved me to accept him as my Lord and Savior.....When the spirit courses through your veins like boiling water (in my case) it was an awesome feeling that I will never forget....

Keep studying and asking questions.....as a child of GOD, you are a child and like a child---you are learning and it's a great thing to learn something new each day. That's a great thing and I suggest getting onto a reading plan and spend a daily time with GOD in his book. I hate reading and tried a plan last year, and about 3-4 months in I failed....I've been going strong again fer 4 months now and the spirit has kept me thirsting to read daily. My daily scripture on here was the light that turned on years ago and started out as baby steps which led me into reading more and more each day.

Sorry if my post may be jumbled but you will get most of it.....

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Mingo

Hello Jason,

Great points...I am trying to comprehend the existence of "hell" because Adam and Eve returned to dust...not hell. So why would there be returning to dust and a hell?

The bible is at some points literal and yet, some point symbolic. I have read Revelations 3x...I consider it to be symbolic, for the most part...

Consider what God's Word the bible says, I believe it was Solomon was inspired to write at Ecclesiates 9:5, 6: "For the living know* that they will die,+ but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward,* because all memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun."

The word “Gehenna” literally means “Valley of Hinnom,” referring to a valley just outside Jerusalem. In Bible times, the city residents used this valley as a garbage dump. They kept a fire constantly burning there to destroy refuse; maggots consumed anything that the fire did not reach.
Jesus used Gehenna as a symbol of everlasting destruction. (Matthew 23:33) He said that in Gehenna “the maggot does not die and the fire is not put out.” (Mark 9:47, 48) He thus alluded to the conditions in the Valley of Hinnom and also to the prophecy at Isaiah 66:24, which says: “They will go out and look on the carcasses of the men who rebelled against me; for the worms on them will not die, and their fire will not be extinguished.” Jesus’ illustration describes, not torture, but complete annihilation. The worms and fire consume carcasses, or dead bodies, not living people.
The Bible gives no indication of any return from Gehenna. “The lake of fire” and “the fiery Gehenna” both represent permanent, everlasting destruction.—Revelation 20:14, 15; 21:8; Matthew 18:9.
How “tormented day and night forever and ever”?

If the lake of fire is a symbol of destruction, why does the Bible say that in it the Devil, the wild beast, and the false prophet “will be tormented day and night forever and ever”? (Revelation 20:10) Consider four reasons why this torment does not refer to literal torture:
  1. For the Devil to be tortured eternally, he would have to be kept alive forever. However, the Bible says that he will be brought to nothing, or put out of existence.—Hebrews 2:14.
  2. Everlasting life is a gift from God, not a punishment.—Romans 6:23.
  3. The wild beast and the false prophet are symbols and cannot experience literal torture.
  4. The context of the Bible indicates that the torment of the Devil is everlasting restraint or destruction.
The word used for “torment” in the Bible can also mean “a condition of restraint.” For example, the Greek word for “tormentors” used at Matthew 18:34 is rendered as “jailers” in many translations, showing the connection between the words “torment” and “restraint.” Likewise, the parallel accounts at Matthew 8:29 and Luke 8:30, 31 equate “torment” with “the abyss,” a figurative place of complete inactivity or death. (Romans 10:7; Revelation 20:1, 3) In fact, several times the book of Revelation uses the word “torment” in a symbolic sense.—Revelation 9:5; 11:10; 18:7, 10.

So basically, when one dies, there is no afterlife, no memory that continues to think or consciousness, and no going to heaven as some believe. I say that because consider Lazarus, a close friend of Jesus. When he was dead for 4 days, when resurrected did he say he was in heaven...no he did not. It would be pretty bad if Jesus resurrected Lazarus from heaven back to earth only to die again later in life? Right? Lazarus never spoke of heaven or the glory of it, did he? No, he did not. I think it would be torture to resurrect someone who died and gone to heaven only to bring them back to earth to die again? Something to meditate on...I have had to think about that one for a while...

The bottomline for me is: Why would a God of Love, have in place, a place of eternal torment? Really, God of Love and eternal torment are two worlds apart...IMHO.

As for Sodom and Gomorrah, I think we can agree that God can read hearts and knows of who is repentant and is worthy of salvation, in the case of Sodom and Gomorrah, yes, he did render judgement, and if we believe God is a God of Love, that he did give them consideration, did he not...think of the conversation he had with Abraham, 50, 40, etc...he did not find them to be worthy or having a repentant heart...so as God Almighty has the authority and right to do, he rendered judgement...

Some Bible translations use the word “hell” for the Hebrew word “Sheol” and the matching Greek word “Hades,” both of which refer to the common grave of mankind. (Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:27) Many people believe in a fiery hell, as shown in the religious artwork accompanying this article. However, the Bible teaches otherwise.
  1. Those in hell are unconscious and so cannot feel pain. “There is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol.”—Ecclesiastes 9:10.
  2. Good people go to hell. The faithful men Jacob and Job expected to go there.—Genesis 37:35; Job 14:13.
  3. Death, not torment in a fiery hell, is the penalty for sin. “He who has died has been acquitted from his sin.”—Romans 6:7.
More feedback please, make me meditate more on the subject...keep the conversation going
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Grand Slam

CharlieTuna, how long have you been a Jehova's Witness?
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
My friend, my brother, I am not...I say my brother, because, the truth is we are all related...Ham, Shem, and Japheft, can't remember how you spell his name, but truly I am not one...however, I do appreciate all view points all have to offer, as I said before, I am a bible student, and that is what I am.
My apologies to anyone if I offended anyone, but I like speaking from the bible and I enjoy those that speak using the bible and what it's message is...any religion that does not practice what the bible teaches or does what Jesus said to do, well, the truth is all written.
How many times have I used the name Jehovah? Not once, yet from what I have learned from youtube and researching on-line is that the Tetragrammoton (the name of God) was written in the original text over thousands of times...the most widely used name in the bible...not titles...if I am wrong, please say that I am...then that would be saying all the scholars are wrong too.
I am a seeker of the truth and having a close relationship with God...and that my brother is the truth.
My two coins of small value...for whatever it may be worth.
If you desire that I not comment anymore in this section...no problem at all.
Peace be with you
Cheers Charlie
PS. I respect anyone's beliefs...I just like to know what is the real truth.
Active Duty Military

P.S.S.: I am interested to know what you believe?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Matthew 25:41
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Luke 8:12
12 Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

Study 2 Peter:2.....

Hebrews 11
11 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
Snapper

Adam and Eve did turn to dust but their spirits return to God. When one dies the body does nothing more then to turn to dust but the spirits returns to God Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

As God is a God of Love he is also a God or War. You as student understand this from a complete study of the Old Testament.

Matthew 25 :46 And these shall go ago away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal
Matthew 10;28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in