Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Let me start by apologizing for the delay in writing this. I intended to do as I said and post right away, but I struggled with trying to condense a "mountain of evidence" into a single post that people would actually read. As you can see, I still cannot accomplish this task because of the tremendous amount of evidence. I desire to be completely thorough with my post but it is simply not possible. Therefore, this is a simple bullet point post about why the evidence for the resurrection far outweighs any suspicion or belief that it did not happen.

Where do we start? Part of the problem with condensing this information is that the primary source for documented information on the resurrection is found in the christian bible. This presents a problem in that one must accept the bible as an accurate historical record otherwise the claim of "well, we can't believe the bible" is used to totally dismiss the evidence found therein. For the sake of this post, I am going to simply say that there is a mountain of evidence to support the historical accuracy and authority of the bible. We find this evidence through archeology, history, and antiquity. To be sure, one who wishes to dismiss the historicity of the christian bible must dismiss every other historical document speaking of events before 1000 AD. There is ample evidence to demonstrate this fact. But that is another post, isn’t it. On to the resurrection.

The evidence of the resurrection has been weighed by Simon Greenleaf (Harvard Royall Professor of Law). Among other works, Dr. Greenleaf wrote A Treatise on the Law of Evidence, which is considered a classic of American jurisprudence. He is recognized as the one who brought Harvard to prominence among law schools. Other notable scholars such as Frank Morison (Who Moved the Stone) and Lew Wallace (Ben Hur) have weighed the evidence and came to the same conclusion... the evidence is overwhelming.

To begin, here is what we know to be true. No reputable scholar (whether christian or non-christian) can successfully refute these basic facts.

Jesus was a real, historical figure alive between roughly 0-31 AD.
Jesus was a moral figure who taught with authority.
Jesus was arrested, imprisoned, and crucified by the Romans in 30-31 AD.
Jesus was taken from the cross and buried.
The original disciples of Jesus spread through out the world to proclaim the message of Jesus...and the resurrection was the very center of their message. It was the linchpin for everything they taught and believed.

Her are some bullet points for why the resurrection of Jesus can be believed as fact.

*Over 500 witnesses saw him (indoors, outdoors, morning, noon, evening) after he was crucified

*The disciples went from hiding cowards to bold proclaimers of the resurrection (men may die for what they believe to be true, they will not die for what they KNOW is a lie.)

*There is zero effort to deny the resurrection by those who were hurt by the event (Jews, Romans) The only exception is the biblical account that says the Jews paid the soldiers to lie and say they fell asleep while the disciples stole the body. However, sleeping would have resulted in their death, and they would not have fallen asleep on the job anyways.

*There was a Roman seal placed on the stone that sealed the tomb. Breaking the seal is punishable by death.

*The stone was moved. The women couldn't have done it. Who had the means and the motive?

*The Christian church can be traced back to the events of the resurrection. It was universally believed to be true. Certainly SOMEBODY would have debunked this claim if it were a lie.

*If the disciples collaborated together to create this great hoax, what would their motive be? Is it conceivable that they all went to their deaths proclaiming something that they KNEW was a lie so they could start a movement that had zero personal gain in this life? The
Christian message is one of suffering and sacrifice. One of selflessness, love, kindness, and servanthood. How is it possible that this great lie would be held to if there was no personal gain involved? Certainly somebody would have broken the silence and revealed the truth...if it were truly a hoax.

*Nobody could produce a body- even to this day. The Jews would have if they could because the body would instantly dissolve any speculation of a resurrection. The sadducees, a ruling sect in Judaism, did not believe in a bodily resurrection so they would be particularly motivated to produce a body. The Pharisees, the teaching sect of Judaism, would have gladly produced a body because they were the ones who pushed to have Jesus crucified,. The Romans could have put an end to it all because the whole "Jesus issue" caused them great social unrest. Surely a body would make the whole conflict go away. The disciples would have produced a body as well because they were not brave men with a death wish. The disciple,Thomas, was known as "doubting Thomas" because he asserted that he would not believe unless he had proof! After the resurrection he turned into a great evangelist to India...where he was killed for his belief. The bodies of every single major figure in history has been produced after death. Virtually all of them have known burial sites (at least in their era) and most have markers to reveal the spot even today. This is the nature of a public figure. Jesus is undeniably the single most influential person in the history of the world. Why is their no marker, no grave, no body?

*The early Christians changed their most sacred day of the week from Saturday (the Sabbath) to Sunday (known as the Lords Day) because of the resurrection. They also replaced their most sacred celebration (Passover) with a brand new celebration (Easter). They greeted each other with the common greeting "Christ is Risen"...to which was replied "Christ is risen indeed."

*The story of the resurrection is universal in every division of historical Christianity dating all the way back to the early disciples and is in all of the early writings, both canonical and extra biblical.)

*The apostles creed clearly affirms the bodily resurrection of Jesus.

*Non-Christian writers affirm the events of the resurrection as they are found in the Christian bible. Pliny the Younger, Tacitus, Josephus, and several more. NONE of them have a differing account of the basics of the resurrection. If we dismiss their writings on the resurrection then we must also dismiss their writings on the rest of the Roman empire. That would leave us with very little historical writing to know anything about the Romans at all. They have no reason to lie.

*The only possible explanations for the resurrection (besides admitting it's reality) is hallucination, swoon theory, stolen body, and legend. It is statistically and realistically impossible for 500 people to hallucinate the same thing and go to their death believing it. The swoon theory says Jesus didn't really die before he was buried and regained his strength in the tomb. Too many holes to even consider this to be credible. Stolen body? Who did it and what was their motive? Legend? not possible for a legend to spread that fast and that far is such a small amount of time. All of the New Testament can be traced back to before 100 AD. The gospels were all written before 60 AD. At the most, that is only 30 years after Jesus' death. Legends need 200-300 years to develop and spread.

Finally, it has been said that the resurrection is an island guarded by several underwater reefs. Any attempt to reach the island to discredit it is faced with trouble. One might get by one reef only to be sunk by another. There is simply no reasonable explanation for the resurrection...except that it must be true. This is absolutely the most logical conclusion in light of insurmountable evidence. What does this mean? It means that Jesus is the only person in the history of the world who said he would die, be buried, and rise from the dead. Therefore, everything else he said should be seriously considered as truth.

This is not even close to an exhaustive treatment of the evidence, but it is a start. My suggestion is to look at all the evidence with an open mind and discover the truth of the resurrection for yourself.

Last edited by jspooney; 03-22-2013 at 12:16 AM.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Grand Slam

My apologies, some of my " and ' didn't show up properly in my original post. I think i have them all corrected.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

How dare you write all that in one post spooney! Can you imagine how long 'hawks post will be now? I can just see him right now, foaming at the mouth lol. Fingers just looking like a big blur on the keyboard...head twitching speaking in logical tongues...

Kidding, kidding....(you kno I'm right tho 'hawks lol)

Thank you spooney. Sending pm...
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Amen! No doubt He is risen!
L Hull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakavelli View Post
How dare you write all that in one post spooney! Can you imagine how long 'hawks post will be now? I can just see him right now, foaming at the mouth lol. Fingers just looking like a big blur on the keyboard...head twitching speaking in logical tongues...

Kidding, kidding....(you kno I'm right tho 'hawks lol)

Thank you spooney. Sending pm...
LOL, When I speak in Tongues it is clear and understandable. I figure when God is speaking through me, he does not want gibberish

I would like to hear your comments on the mountain of evidence proposed by The Reverend Spooney!

I have only one question....Why did it take soooo long (30-90 yrs) after the death of Jesus for people to write about him? You would think a guy who cured the blind and walked on water would be front page news.
BVBHAWKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Grand Slam

Not interested in your opinions Hawks. Move along.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying-and-rising_god

The Death and resurrection was copied from many previous religions. It is not exclusive to Christianity.

Imo, I think the authors of the Christian Myth knew without the D and R it would be a hard sell to the masses. If Jesus was portrayed as a mere mortal and not divine, people would not accept Christianity.

There is not a shred of physical proof. No artifacts, no writings from Jesus...... nothing!

The most important man to ever walk the planet left nothing behind to prove he existed?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBHAWKS

LOL, When I speak in Tongues it is clear and understandable. I figure when God is speaking through me, he does not want gibberish

I would like to hear your comments on the mountain of evidence proposed by The Reverend Spooney!

I have only one question....Why did it take soooo long (30-90 yrs) after the death of Jesus for people to write about him? You would think a guy who cured the blind and walked on water would be front page news.
My comments?...hmmm...well written and long-winded...tho some might say, not long-winded enough.

There ya go 'hawks...g'nite. I'm not gonna keep throwing you bones as these other fellas do.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBHAWKS View Post

I am no expert but I would imagine they spent those first 30 - 90 years telling people. Then, as they got older and could not get around as easy they wrote down what they knew and had seen. This way the word would continue even when they could not. Makes total sense to me.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Forum Runner
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Hey spooney, can you even acknowledge that the death and resurrection was not a new concept?

The 3rd link provided clearly shows other religions had the same death a resurrection theme.

Imo, Christianity is a religion that was copied from previous religions. I think the prophecy was in place and they need to make up Jesus to fulfill the prophecy!

Just one man's opinion. I will admit your faith could be 100% accurate, but I give it less than 1% to be factual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in