Discussion? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Yakadoodledo
Snapper

Default Discussion?

When I was in college, earning my Bachelor degree in Theology, one of the best discussions we had was about the witch of Endor.

1 Samuel 28:7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

The question asked by the professor was;
Did Samuel really appear through the works of a witch?

The class was pretty evenly split when the discussion began. The thing to remember, and ask yourself when discussing God's Word, and the seriousness of the meaning is, will this knowledge or lack of, affect my salvation?

This topic has been covered by some of the top theologians. There are more on one side than the other. There are plenty of scriptures that warn how God feels about witchcraft.

If no one is interested, I understand. I love to study God's Word. This is just a way to make use of a part of this site that has been set aside for just such discussion.

Hearing other folks interpretations causes me to look at just how open minded I am to learn. If it is in the scripture, I believe it. If you/anyone bases their understanding on anything other than the scripture, I can use scripture to open their minds.

I don't assume to be an expert by any means! I won't get involve in an argument. I just love the Word and being in it.

Definitions from Websters 1828 Dictionary

THEOL'OGY, n.
[Gr. God, and discourse.] Divinity; the science of God and divine things; or the science which teaches the existence, character and attributes of God, his laws and government, the doctrines we are to believe,and the duties we are to practice. Theology consists of two branches, natural and revealed. Natural theology is the knowledge we have of God from his works, by the light of nature and reason. Revealed theology is that which is to be learned only from revelation.
discussion

DISCUSSION, n.
1. In surgery, resolution; the dispersion of a tumor or any coagulated matter.
2. Debate; disquisition; the agitation of a point or subject with a view to elicit truth; the treating of a subject by argument, to clear it of difficulties, and separate truth from falsehood.

'ARGUMENT, n. [L. argumentum.]

1. A reason offered for or against a proposition, opinion, or measure; a reason offered in proof, to induce belief, or convince the mind; followed by for or against.
2. In logic, an inference drawn from premises, which are indisputable, or at least of probable truth.
3. The subject of a discourse or writing.
4. An abstract or summary of a book, or the heads of the subjects.
5. A debate or discussion; a series of reasoning; as, an argument was had before the court, in which argument, all the reasons were urged.
Ben Carson For President!!! Run Ben Run!!
---------------/------------/-----------/----------/---------/
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
Katartizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
◆Commercial◆
Trigger

It is cold comfort which this evil spirit in Samuel's robe gives to Saul, and is manifestly intended to drive him to despair in self-destruction. Had it been the true Samuel he would have told him to repent and make his peace with God, and recall David from his banishment, that he might hope in this way to find mercy wirh God; but, instead of that, he represents his case as helpless and hopeless, serving him as he did Judas to whom he was first a tempter and then a tormentor, persauding him first to sell his master and them to hang himself..
bakbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Yakadoodledo
Snapper

bakbone
Nice, in 6 hrs of discussion during class, no one answered in the manner you have.
Using type and foreshadowing all in one brief and concise answer!
You wouldn't happen to be a preacher?
Groovy
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
◆Commercial◆
Trigger

No I'm not a preacher just love the Word, love to study, and love to learn different view points. I use the resources God has provided. And I rely on the Holy Spirit for understanding and men a lot smater than me.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Yakadoodledo
Snapper

The Word of God is the only thing in life that is the same yesterday, today and forever! It is a standard we can live by. I love hearing other folks views. When I was pastoring, some of the best times were when someone had an "ah hah" moment, and their eyes were opened to the power and knowledge (wisdom) that only comes from being in His Word. The absolute best times are when my eyes are opened to the meaning of God's Word!
The discussion of God's Holy Word, will inspire, convict, revive, and open the eyes of us all.
The professor of that class is my best friend and I am going to call him to give him your answer. I know he will use it next time he teaches the class. I won't say which way he leaned per the question asked, but I will tell you, once all the discussions and scripture were presented, he changed his mind!

Mark Twain
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
◆Commercial◆
Trigger

Yes and Amen brother!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katartizo View Post
The Word of God is the only thing in life that is the same yesterday, today and forever!
Yes the word is the same, but has several meanings towards different folks...It also has may mean one thing to you today and next year may mean something else....That's why the "living word" is a great guide.....

I'm going to look into the passage you provided, and look at different interpretations of it to better understand it to see how the spirit moves me to discuss it....

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I remember reading this passage a year ago or so but wasn't challenged to interpret it so good job getting some of our minds greased up!!! I'm definitely no expert and still consider myself a youngin' when it comes to interpreting the bible....

Just reading the passage in different translations, only a couple refereed to her as a witch/wizzard most used medium/spiritualist. The 1 word that flashed at me with the different translations was night. He went out at night to seek her out. Throughout the bible dark is refereed to as evil and light is GOD.

He already departed GOD (although it said GOD departed him) and was grasping at straws so seeking the woman for answers was a last ditch effort to try to ease his guilt. Do I believe that there are folks that talk to spirits see ghosts and what not? Sure I do, so do I believe this woman showed him Samuel? We'll I think she said something soooo generic that he believed it was Samuel. He did not put his faith in GOD. In his mind he was doing whatever he could to keep a "sane" mind.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Yakadoodledo
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yes the word is the same, but has several meanings towards different folks...It also has may mean one thing to you today and next year may mean something else....That's why the "living word" is a great guide.....

I'm going to look into the passage you provided, and look at different interpretations of it to better understand it to see how the spirit moves me to discuss it....
That Living Word!!!

Mark Twain
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
White Marlin

Over my head guy's. But if I ever get caught out in a lighting storm and you see a 23' CC headed your way it will be me tying up to one of you until the storm blows through even if it's K's kayak.
2RC's II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in