Debunking the Myth that Science Disproves the Bible - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Religion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MathGeek

Old 03-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Debunking the Myth that Science Disproves the Bible

Science was born from man’s desire to acquire knowledge with greater certainty and objectivity than is available from “authoritative” sources and “expert” opinions. Since human opinion is fallible, a method was invented to provide greater objectivity through the testability of ideas ...
Read More
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
MathGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Snapper

The sphere of science is the laws of nature (the natural world) as determined my repeatable experiment. When limited to its proper sphere and executed properly, it is very good at testing hypotheses and eliminating errors.

The sphere of the Bible is things of the spirit and how the supernatural interacts with the natural. This is a sphere about which science is incapable of speaking. People of faith who are knowledgeable about science usually only doubt science when it reaches beyond its sphere of the natural world and begins to make claims about things that belong to the sphere of the Bible.

The point of the linked article is to articulate more clearly how people are pushing science beyond its appropriate sphere when they claim that its conclusions somehow contradict the Bible.

Original Article
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
Old 03-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

If you believe in a young Earth (6000 yrs old) it does not agree with science.

I think you have to have faith to overlook what science proves wrong.
Bluefish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Snapper

Science has corrected itself many times. Science is not infallible. I guess its all in what one chooses to believe.
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish Blues View Post
If you believe in a young Earth (6000 yrs old) it does not agree with science.

I think you have to have faith to overlook what science proves wrong.
Science assumes naturalism is true. The conclusions may follow from the presupposition, but the conclusions do not prove the presupposition.

Science also says a man cannot rise from the dead after rotting in the ground for a few days. But one did!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Science assumes naturalism is true. The conclusions may follow from the presupposition, but the conclusions do not prove the presupposition.

Science also says a man cannot rise from the dead after rotting in the ground for a few days. But one did!
Well, that is a matter of opinion.

Are you a young Earth guy?

Im guessing you think snakes can talk too?

It could all be true, but logic tells me otherwise.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Well, that is a matter of opinion.

Are you a young Earth guy?

Im guessing you think snakes can talk too?

It could all be true, but logic tells me otherwise.
The Bible does not tell us the age of the earth. It does say God created the earth in six days, death did not exist until after the fall of Adam, that humans were created at the beginning, and that other than Noah and his family, humanity was destroyed in a flood.

I've never met a talking snake, but there was a talking serpent in the garden of Eden.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The Bible does not tell us the age of the earth. It does say God created the earth in six days, death did not exist until after the fall of Adam, that humans were created at the beginning, and that other than Noah and his family, humanity was destroyed in a flood.

I've never met a talking snake, but there was a talking serpent in the garden of Eden.
Science clearly shows the age of the Earth as billions of years. Do you agree with this? What year did God create the Earth?

A Christian friend of mine once said if you look at religion with logic it wont make sense, that is why people need faith to get over the illogical hurdles.

How did Noah's family turn into all the races? Did he have blacks, Asians and Indians on the boat? How could his family tree turn into all the races of the world in such a short time?

I find religions fascinating. I may not agree with most of them, but they make my curious mind ask questions.

Many people think asking questions about their religion is ridiculing their religions. That is not my intention, I only seek the truth or another way to look at things.

Peace!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Science clearly shows the age of the Earth as billions of years. Do you agree with this? What year did God create the Earth?

A Christian friend of mine once said if you look at religion with logic it wont make sense, that is why people need faith to get over the illogical hurdles.

How did Noah's family turn into all the races? Did he have blacks, Asians and Indians on the boat? How could his family tree turn into all the races of the world in such a short time?

I find religions fascinating. I may not agree with most of them, but they make my curious mind ask questions.

Many people think asking questions about their religion is ridiculing their religions. That is not my intention, I only seek the truth or another way to look at things.

Peace!
All science can provide are theories that are most consistent with the evidence according to methodological naturalism - the assumption equivalent to God _not_ doing it.

These theories and interpretations cannot prove that God didn't do it, because they assume that he didn't.
Bluefish Blues likes this.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Science has corrected itself many times. Science is not infallible. I guess its all in what one chooses to believe.
That is the great thing about science, when new data is proven correct, it will change its theory.

Last edited by Bluefish Blues; 03-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in