Florida keys fishing question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Out Of Area

Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Florida keys fishing question

Ill be headed to the keys in May and would like to do a charter. Looking at my options, a 6 hour trip is more in my price range than the all day trips. My question is, is this enough time to get on some good fish? Wed like to get into some mahi and catch some snapper/grouper as well. Any charter suggestions would also be appreciated. May even look into doing an inshore trip.

On another note, Ive seen some split trips for the all day charters available. Do you typically catch as much/good of fish as a private charter would?
Awhite08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
Snapper

We went to the Keys a couple of years ago and I signed up for a couple of split trips out of Robbies. It was essentially still a private charter, six pack, but you just didn't know the other people. I think I signed up for four and two filled out. Usually they have to have at least 4 for the charter to be a go. I had a lot of fun and met some great people. It was definitely a cheaper option than doing all private charters. I think they do split trips on the all day ones too.
Bluecape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Sailfish

www.keywestangling.com
Travis and his brother Bear (Bryan) are some of the best folks I've ever fished with. Check them out. They are both excellent tarpon/permit guides, and I think travis is running a big center console offshore now as well.
Don't know if they do split trips, but it's worth calling and asking. And if they don't have open dates, or the trip you're interested in, I would still talk to them as they have a vast network of guides to direct you to.
facebook.com/BSTseptic
nb&twil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
Trigger

Thanks for the info and I'll check them out.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
Mingo

We have booked two 1/2 day trips on the Jeni-Lyn in May. For tarpon and then an "edible" trip. We booked in January and the Jeni-Lyn was almost booked for the week we are going. The Facebook for the Jeni-Lyn, Robbies and Bud n' Mary's seem to show that 1/2 days are good. We could only get afternoon trips as mornings were booked. Actually, the Jeni-Lyn was our third attempt at booking for May. The second guide we tried to book recommended the Jeni-Lyn. The Islamorada Tarpon Fishing guide (my first
choice) was also booked.

Robbies is a must see.

I hope this helps.
We must reject the idea that every time a laws broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. -- Ronald Reagan
WarEagle78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Trigger

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
White Marlin

After a few trips to the keys and hiring charters, I started renting boats from Captain Pips and fishing myself. You can go when and where you want. Caught a lot of fish with my brother and other friends from a 17 boat rented from Capt. Pips..

http://captainpips.com/boat-rentals/
Old 03-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardfeet View Post
After a few trips to the keys and hiring charters, I started renting boats from Captain Pips and fishing myself. You can go when and where you want. Caught a lot of fish with my brother and other friends from a 17 boat rented from Capt. Pips..

http://captainpips.com/boat-rentals/
Ive thought about renting a boat but Im not familiar with those waters. Would you recommend it, being my first time down there?
Old 04-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #9
White Marlin

It should be no problem.
Avoid the really light spots. That's shallow water. The boats have GPS and pretty good electronics. Spend a little extra and get the insurance. They may require it now. They will give you hints on where to go and what to avoid. For Tarpon, go to Bahia Honda bridge. Get there early if you want to anchor under a span. Try and get one near the center of the bridge.
Have fun!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Trigger

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in