Fat Jax tried somethign NEW! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Out Of Area
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree18Likes
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!

The Hired Hand (Mark) and I tried something new last week… We left for Boca Grande last Saturday, when I finished up showing a few homes. Arrived in Boca Sunday morning about noon or so. Unloaded the boat, mark parked the truck and trailer at the VRBO and I motored in the boat and got tied up to the dock in the canal. Unpacked, got a snack, and headed for Boca Grande Pass. There were plenty of boats, this was our first time ever doing this so we watched for a while. We saw they were using crabs about the size of a ˝ dollar coin. We had a couple frozen mullet we picked up along the way. Nothing was hitting the cut bait. Didn’t have a dip net for the crabs, so we watched and learned… Following 3 days we got crab, and TARPON! They were all bunched up within about a 300-400 yard rectangle. We got in line and did the drift, once hooked up, we let the fish dictate where we were going, some stayed in the same area, others decided to take us out to sea,where by the way, Mark had a Hammerhead about 10-12 feet long MUG his 75-80 Lb.Tarpon on the surface! (one of our goals to see) That was impressive…. Quick (3-7 seconds) but impressive as hell…. No time for pictures on that… the three days we fished pretty hard, the bite was on and off, all in all I think we had 12-15 Tarpon hooked (The jumping was unreal) and 7-8 to the boat with the largest being about 80-90 pounds. The smallest was in the 40 Lb. range (in the picture below). As I was taking the picture of the largest one, you can see mark losing control of it and the splash in the bottom of the picture. Just missed that one, but the fishes head was easily, twice the size of Mark’s head…. Both Mark and I, under estimated the power of the Tarpon, HolySmoly, what a fight!!!! The jumping was something like I have never experienced. There were bigger Tarpon in the Pass, some when they were on the surface looked to be twice or even larger than the largest one we managed to get to the boat. Awesome experience with my Brother, and I’m sure we’ll be doing this again. Note, There isn’t much water down there, it was extremely low around the canals and where we were staying. I would not want to have a boat any larger than the fat Jax down there… AWESOME time!!!!! Oh, the LOVE BUGS south of Gainesville are of PLAGUE proportions!!

Attached Thumbnails
Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-0505191234-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-0505191712-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-0509190716-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1079-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1081-jpg  

Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1091-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1092-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1097-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1098-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1095-jpg  

Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Low speed, low drag.
Grand Slam

Neat place down there. 2 high school buddies guide Boca, Lemon Bay etc. glad y’all had a great trip.
grouper22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouper22 View Post
Neat place down there. 2 high school buddies guide Boca, Lemon Bay etc. glad y’all had a great trip.
May have seen them, plenty of charter boats there..... sure is a different type of fishing down that way.... took us a little while to catch on, but we got there...
grouper22 likes this.

Unread 05-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Grand Slam

a few more pictures... spent a couple hours getting the love bugs off the boat this morning... sheeze…
Attached Thumbnails
Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-0506191152-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-0509191022-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1072-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1074-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1076-jpg  

Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1078-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1094-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1073-jpg   Fat Jax tried somethign NEW!-dscf1090-jpg  
cody&ryand, KPTN and Boat-Dude like this.
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Nice. I’m from SW Florida and would go to Boca Grande pass frequently. The hammerheads are crazy big. There’s a local legend that talks about a 20-25 footer nicknamed Hitler. Never saw it...many claim they did.

Did y’all fish Cato Casta?
canygaar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Trigger

One of the top 5 fishing trips of my life. We accomplished every thing we wanted to see and catch on the trip. Never did that before. Even saw 2 manatees and lots of big turtles. Totally enjoyed every minute of it, Thanks brother. We had a lot more fun than Jim writes it up as but you know Jim, Just the Facts with Pictures.
Bodupp likes this.
Unread 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Sailfish

Awesome video. That’s why I got to go.
specktackler57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hired Hand View Post
One of the top 5 fishing trips of my life. We accomplished every thing we wanted to see and catch on the trip. Never did that before. Even saw 2 manatees and lots of big turtles. Totally enjoyed every minute of it, Thanks brother. We had a lot more fun than Jim writes it up as but you know Jim, Just the Facts with Pictures.

Holy Crap! how did I skip over the manatees? saw 2 of them just inside the pass. Awesome time, with you Mark! So much fun, I'll do that again in a second. The weather did run us to the rental the last afternoon. It was getting pretty cranked up with the lightning, so run, run away as fast as yo can we did..… Such a great time!
Unread 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
teh Skiff
Grand Slam

Jim & Mark what a great report. Love the pictures!!! I never saw the Fat Jax up close, that is a super nice boat. Glad you 2 had a blast.
Unread 05-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by canygaar View Post
Nice. I’m from SW Florida and would go to Boca Grande pass frequently. The hammerheads are crazy big. There’s a local legend that talks about a 20-25 footer nicknamed Hitler. Never saw it...many claim they did.

Did y’all fish Cato Casta?
Dang, we only saw the one that snacked on Marks fish... Not sure where Cato Casta is... so I don't think we fished there... Is that in that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-Dude View Post
Jim & Mark what a great report. Love the pictures!!! I never saw the Fat Jax up close, that is a super nice boat. Glad you 2 had a blast.
Thanks. The Fat Jax, is the best all around CC I have ever been on, not saying that because it's mine, but. you have offshore ability,a deck in front to cast from, plenty os storage, BIG fish boxes, and the Grady White quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in