Whats better then one kayak mahi? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Whats better then one kayak mahi?

Two kayak mahi of course.

Launched off of the Natl Seashore today for a change of scenery around nine in the morning. Fishing started off slow, went straight south to almost eighty feet of water about three and half miles out with nothing but a bonita to show for it.

The water wasnt the amazing blue like it was over the weekend but it still looked great especially so close to shore.

The wind started to pick up and I finally started catching fish.

The bigger mahi, who I swear is a lot bigger then he looks in the pic was a blast to fight. I only have a little hand gaff that is pretty much pointless but luckily as soon as I got the fish yak side he jumped straight into the yak right between my legs. I have no idea how I didnt end up with a hook in me.

I rebaited and put the same rig back out and no joke I hadnt even fully turned around from setting the rod in the rod holder when a little peanut mahi ate.

It was an interesting day, I ended up breaking the mount for my rudder because I forgot to pull it up when I beached and about three miles out one of the masts fell out of the sprocket. LUCKILY I wedged it back in there and it didnt fall out again, however I will now ALWAYS bring an allen key and a spare set screw.

I ended the day with three kings, two mahi, a spanish and a bonita. Oh and I free gaffed a remora that hung with me all day. Teased him up with a cig and then gave him some steel. Thatll teach him not to eat my cigs while Im setting out baits.

Because Im a nice guy I will say what Ive been catching my fish on...

Almost all of my kings, and Ive caught a ton of kings in the last few weeks, have eaten a Bomber one oz J duster in blue and chrome. ALL five of the mahi Ive landed and all the ones Ive lost including the nice one my dad lost last Sunday all ate a Boon pearl duster in pink.

I couldnt find them here in Navarre but Academy and Half Hitch carry them. I just had James at Broxsons order me some and I think he is going to order some for the shop too so a week from Thursday they should have them in stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats better then one kayak mahi?-imag0809-jpg  
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Grouper

nice mahi. the gb wal mart had some of those bomber dusters and boone dusters(not sure on pink pearl though).
The Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pitt View Post
nice mahi. the gb wal mart had some of those bomber dusters and boone dusters(not sure on pink pearl though).
Youre right and that is where I use to get them but they sold out of the colors I like. I asked if theyd get more and the lady said they werent suppose to have them in the first place and that she probably wouldnt be ordering any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to ClemsonTiger11

Yum Yum! I am sitting there sweating my butt off working and I get this pic of a mahi, jealous! Looks like you are getting this yak thing figured out.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Im doing well man. Knock on wood but I havnt been skunked yet. Hopefully I will have us some not so public bottom spots we can yak to when you get down here so you can get some snapper to take back home.

Oh yeah, guess you need to change your location too.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
The Yakslayer
Snapper

Nice job.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
White Marlin

Very nice !!!!!!

Scott

18' McKee Craft w/90 HP Honda
25.5 Grady White Sailfish W/ Twin 200 ETEC
parrothead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in