Weekend Tarpon win again. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Weekend Tarpon win again.

My son and I had a lot of fun Saturday night, launched around eight and fished till eleven. Most of action was in first hour, the moon was bright and the water near slick. Used our new Pinfish trap near 3MB and in an hour we had about fourty baits. We kept about 25 and put them in with the bubbler and headed to the beach. We had action right away using the pinfish just basically floating around and letting them swim. I had a pinfish get hit right away but it didn't stick then about ten seconds later the Hogy Pro tail I was slowly trolling got hit and it definately stuck but after about two minutes the 80lb Floruo broke. I was using a loop knot and don't think I'll do that again. That was the best hook up we had all night. The rest of them would maybe get in one or two jumps and then come off, the hooks just were not sticking them well enough. We were using some good wide gap, sharp circle hooks but they just didn't penetrate. Every time we jumped one the leader came back scuffed up and almost white in the first 1-2 feet. I had to cut back sometimes 3 feet of leader to get to where I could rety. We used the same 80Lb floro on the 3 rods we used. It was the best trip we have had all season for them and living 2 hours away it has been a challenge but very fun.
Bodupp, fishboy, Boat-Dude and 3 others like this.

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Pushing the Limits of time.
Ptpainton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #2
White Marlin

I've only hooked a couple of tarpon never managed to land one. Good report I know it was fun just getting a couple on.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Trigger

Default Hook ups technique?

I tried to not set the hook and let them run a bit before putting much pressure on them but it didn't seem to help much. Was trying make sure they were basically turning away from me before adjusting drag and reeling down hard. It's so exciting though it's hard to say what I actually did at the time. It's pretty cool to feel like your connected to a runaway train and your at their mercy!

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,

Old 09-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Nice report!

I always try to come tight to tarpon quickly and put decent pressure on them from the start, only easing up during jumps. Poons will usually feel the line dragging through the water and begin shaking their heads or popping their mouth open trying to dislodge. You may still come tight, but it's generally a poor hook-set and often leads to a thrown hook. As soon as I get bit on a live bait I try to close the gap and come tight and once the fish peels drag I will give a couple "bump" sets to ensure a good set.
DLo, Bodupp and Ptpainton like this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

80# leader should be plenty, although you could probably get away with 100# at night. Try using a 10/0 Owner circle, and if you can catch a skipjack (ladyfish), hook it up immediately. They're tarpon candy, but don't keep in a livewell.
Ptpainton likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodupp View Post
80# leader should be plenty, although you could probably get away with 100# at night. Try using a 10/0 Owner circle, and if you can catch a skipjack (ladyfish), hook it up immediately. They're tarpon candy, but don't keep in a livewell.
I concur. I pretty much always use 80# Seaguar and have never felt that going lighter produced more bites on adult fish. I have a friend who always uses 100# and catches plenty.
Ptpainton likes this.
Saturday 9-9
Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Trigger

Default Hook Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Nice report!

I always try to come tight to tarpon quickly and put decent pressure on them from the start, only easing up during jumps. Poons will usually feel the line dragging through the water and begin shaking their heads or popping their mouth open trying to dislodge. You may still come tight, but it's generally a poor hook-set and often leads to a thrown hook. As soon as I get bit on a live bait I try to close the gap and come tight and once the fish peels drag I will give a couple "bump" sets to ensure a good set.
I have been sort of waiting on the fish to turn before I really put pressure on them so I'm not sure really what the problem is. I bought a couple different circle hook brands last seasno I think they are 7/0 and 8/0. One is an offset hook and one is not. Both seemed sharp after I touched them up.

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Old 09-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptpainton View Post
I have been sort of waiting on the fish to turn before I really put pressure on them so I'm not sure really what the problem is. I bought a couple different circle hook brands last seasno I think they are 7/0 and 8/0. One is an offset hook and one is not. Both seemed sharp after I touched them up.
I think the waiting is the problem. What I was getting at is don't wait to come tight, come tight immediately and don't be afraid to put pressure on them from the starting line. Don't give the fish a chance to start popping it's jaws, shaking it's head or get the hook deeper into it's mouth where it has more travel time to the lip or corner.

I have used quite a few different circles in the time I've been Tarpon fishing and the Owner Mutu Light is my favorite by far. Whatever circles you use, keep in mind that lighter wire hooks will penetrate easier than heavy wire hooks.
Ptpainton likes this.
Saturday 9-9
Old 09-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
Mingo

Best way to hook a tarpon is to use treble hook and just let them swallow it on freespool. Also helps take some of the fight out of them and a little easier to land
Yakin_it_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
Snapper

Doesn't that kill the tarpon though? I was under the impression most people released tarpon.

I think waiting may be unwise with a circle hook. If they are swimming away from you the hook should slide to the corner of its mouth and turn so the hook point catches in the bone. Its designed to do that. If the fish is facing towards you, or working its mouth to lose the hook, the circle hooks may not have a chance to turn and get that sharp tip into the lip. Slide a circle hook on some line through the spot between your thumb and forefinger and you can see how it turns and seats itself.
So, if you get a strike dont jerk the hook to set it, but apply pressure in a smooth and steady way (either by reeling in/drag or smoothly raising the rod tip).
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in