Spanish and nearly a king - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By watergator

Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Spanish and nearly a king

I got out Saturday morning so this is a bit late but I really wanted to share. Launched from little lagoon pass and intended to go east into the wind and current but I got pushed west pretty good while I was catching bait. I got a few crazy fish and started trolling one of those and a frozen cigar minnow on a red/white duster. I got a nice Spanish (~24") pretty quick and then a 4ft blacktip that made me cut off my only duster. The wind started to pick up so I was heading in with a crazy fish and a naked cigar minnow dragging when the cigar got hit again. The long run made me think king and but then the head shakes made me think shark. When I got it close it was easily the biggest king I've ever seen in person. I caught a 48 incher last year and this one was bigger. I was got him close a few times and when I thought I finally had him, the hook fell out and he cruised off. I had been doing everything right as far as I can tell so I'm not kicking myself too bad, but it really made me sick. I stowed the rods after that so I could focus on getting back to the pass since it had gotten pretty choppy, but I'm definitely gonna be back out after that king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watergator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Snapper

Sometimes you do everything right and still lose a fish. Keeps things sporty. Though it can feel like a punch in gut

do you kayak through the pass?
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Trigger

Yeah. It can get a little squirrelly at times but it's easier than launching from the beach in my opinion.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Wolfgang
Trigger

Damn man, that's enough to piss off the pope. Nice spanish though. Got any photos of it? Good luck on getting that king.
KnotSure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

When I saw your post last year with the big king I wondered if you yaked thru the pass. Seems every time I'm over there the current is whipping thru there. Are you launching in an incoming or outgoing tide? I've been
fishing Navarre, but love Gulf Shores and Ft. Morgan. Do you launch any other GOM spots in Alabama?

Rory

HOBIE 2016 PA 12'
rlbonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Trigger

Yeah. It rips through there sometimes and it takes a bit of work to go against the current but it's not too bad. I prefer an incoming tide because it lays the swells on the outside down, but I'll go out in whatever because I don't get out enough to be picky. I've launched at a few other spots off the beach, but I don't have wheels so that's another reason I like using the pass. If you're ever trying to get out over here then feel free to hit me up. It definitely makes me feel better having a buddy, but it doesn't always work out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in