Sound 12-23-17 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dale41
  • 1 Post By Ocean Master

Old 12-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Sound 12-23-17

Lets just get it out of the way early... sucked. That said, every report I read said it was not a day to fish. Didn't mind so much though as this was an outing to test out the new finder (which did a fine job of telling me there were no fish near me.. ever), and the trailer. Both performed very well. Was out from around 8-1.

Put in on the north side, Navarre area, and honestly spent more time paddling against the wind and current to get in position than I did fishing. Tried to troll with some shrimp while making my way west along the coastline in the hopes of getting far enough to hit some grassy shoreline a little ways down. Dropped anchor a few times and even that was a battle since the wind/water was moving so much. Something with some size did take a surface shot at my Rappala just 10' from the Yak, but couldn't ID, and he never came back. Tossed on a small frozen pinfish just because it was in my "too long in the freezer" bag (and nothing else was working), and in typical fashion, something took a big chomp out of the belly, but not the hook.

Almost a complete skunk outside of the angry looking fellow below, got him back in the water without taking any barbs to the eye. They are always a fun fight. Never made it to the grass I was looking for, and luckily the paddle back was a good bit easier than the paddle out.

Next up will Gulf Navarre Pier area (if I can get a calm day), and EB River.
Attached Thumbnails
Sound 12-23-17-sting-jpg  
Dale41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Sailfish

You’re fishing in the wrong area. You need to head up into the river system and you’ll have better luck. Also, skip the live shrimp - soft plastics on a jig head and mirroines will produce large numbers.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

That’s all I’m catching on the dock. It looks like a desert in the water. No signs of life at all.
Dale41 likes this.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60hertz View Post
Youíre fishing in the wrong area. You need to head up into the river system and youíll have better luck. Also, skip the live shrimp - soft plastics on a jig head and mirroines will produce large numbers.
Definitely true, knew that going in, was actually planning on East Bay River, but had just discovered the Navarre launch and wanted to give it a shot. Still getting used to the new points. Figured worst care, I'd get to test out the new gear. Well seemed it was worst case, but did get to test the new gear. Will be heading inland next time out.
Dale41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in