Simpsons 2/5/13 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Simpsons 2/5/13

Was able to get in some fishing after work. 4 keeper specs and a half dozen runts plus one small bass. They were hitting mirror lure 20mr today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Attached Thumbnails
Simpsons 2/5/13-image-1630507006-jpg  
grgrobards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgrobards View Post
Was able to get in some fishing after work. 4 keeper specs and a half dozen runts plus one small bass. They were hitting mirror lure 20mr today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Nice catch! Question for you. I live over by simpson river pier and i don't like driving to bob sikes all the time. Is there any red fish activity over there? Instead of using cut manhaden do they go for some type of artificial?
AVIDfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIDfisherman View Post
Nice catch! Question for you. I live over by simpson river pier and i don't like driving to bob sikes all the time. Is there any red fish activity over there? Instead of using cut manhaden do they go for some type of artificial?
I put in at Simpson and paddle all directions. The redfish bite has been slow for me since the middle of December. In the fall I caught a lot of slot reds, mostly below the bridge out in the mouth of Simpson and back in some backwater areas. I havn't had a lot of luck with live bait. Superspook Jr. in bone color has been my most productive lure for Reds. I have caught only one redfish in 2013 and it was only 17.5" Been looking for them with the spook but only catching bass right now. I live in Pace so putting in at the Simpson peir is about the most conveinent place for me and I have had pretty good luck overall.

Greg
grgrobards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Snapper

Cool deal yeah i was wanting to catch some slot reds i don't have a kayak yet. So, i obviously end up fishing from the simpson pier but, only catch a couple good white trout. I'd like to catch a good 20-27" red off the pier i'm guessing there isn't a whole lot of nothing in that channel there in front of the pier.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Sailfish

Nice!! I was there from about 430- dark didn't get a bite untill dark and I caught 7 trout on 8 cast nothing big 14-17 or so
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Grouper

Avid - there are redfish in there all right, but they have been very hard to find. I have had good luck finding bulls out in the river when it's cold and slots on some shallow flats, but they have been avoiding me lately. I use nothing but artificials... Get a yak and get away from the pier! I live in Pace too and this is close, no need to drive 45 minutes away.

Greg - nice catch!
GCKFA #1
www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com

Last edited by FLSalomon; 02-06-2013 at 01:45 AM.
FLSalomon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSalomon View Post
Avid - there are redfish in there all right, but they have been very hard to find. I have had good luck finding bulls out in the river when it's cold and slots on some shallow flats, but they have been avoiding me lately. I use nothing but artificials... Get a yak and get away from the pier! I live in Pace too and this is close, no need to drive 45 minutes away.

Greg - nice catch!
Yeah, the problem is finding the money to get a yak. Maybe taxes will be good to me this year. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Nice catch Greg! I've been out there twice over the last two weeks, but no luck so far. I did get plenty of excercise though, I'm going to be ready when it's time to start chasing kings and mahi at Navarre.
RBARB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Default Nice Catch

Love those winter time specs when they are on the bite. The best luck for me at that pier is keeping the bait off of the bottom by at least a foot or so. Try a heavy weight on the end of the line and drop a loop and a 2/0 hook at 18" and 30". Bait it up with the small piece of fillets of a white trout hooked at one end so it will flutter in the current. Then just hold on and wait for the bite. Good luck!
Bullgat0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in