Short trip Destin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Short trip Destin

Went for another adventure with Ginzu, Blackjeep, and Millertime. We had an arsenol of live Pinfish for bait along with frozen sardines, squid, and cigars. Blackjeep started off the trip good by getting sideways and rolling his Hobie Outback in 3 ft of water. We were able to recover everything except a scotty rod holder with extension. He was fine but a little embarrased and drenched. Seeing this we probably should have went inshore and called it quits for the Gulf. Surf was definately rough for the launch but we decided to man up and give it a try. We all studied the waves and went for it, timing it perfectly. Ok, adrenaline was high at this point. We made it to one of our spots within no time. Hmmnn also a bad sign that the current was pushing us out. We had a hard time keeping on our spots without drifting off. On the FF it seemed most the fish were hanging at about 30-40 and not the bottom as usual. Thought maybe this was due to the cold front. About 11 the wind starting crankin and we were stuck in a washing machine. We decided to call it quits and head in. Coming in we were fighting white caps and large swells and weren't making much progress. Thank god we all had mirage drives and muscled through it. It took at least an hour to get back. No one dumped in the surf exit. We did manage to get some red snapper and a flounder. Most the red snapper were to small. Two were nice size. Somewhat of a scary trip. I needed some cold ones after that. Ginzu took a nice video of the inside of his pocket so we only have a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Short trip Destin-big-destin-red-snapper-jpg   Short trip Destin-destin-flounder-jpg   Short trip Destin-rob-action-jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
2019 Hobie outback
White Marlin

damn that stinks but atleast you guys caught some fish. kinda glad i didnt end up going with you guys. i didnt want to get rolled!
bbarton13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Trigger

You would have been fine with a PA. Blackjeep only rolled because he has an Outback. I might be bad luck for Blackjeep, this is the second time he's flipped with me. Sorry Blackjeep. I think we should have backed out and went to the bridge instead, but we were all excited to get in the GOM. Mother nature put a woopin on us.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Mingo

Where did you guys put in at? We put in at the bridge and were planning on messing around at the pass but it was getting ugly so we hit the flats north of crab island.
tmv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Red Solo Kayak
Sailfish

Damn that sux black jeep. If you decide to upgrade lmk I've got a buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
Headed to the nipple.... if she says yes..... I'll probably just get the elbow though.
MrPhoShiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
The Yakslayer
Snapper

Reports of my rolling are greatly exaggerated. I did roll, but it was my own fault. I had put my fins in from the start because I knew I'd need speed to get through the surf zone, but I forgot to get the rudder down. As I started to peddle I started going off to one side. OH SHIT. I pulled the rudder handle after struggling with it for a sec and when it slapped into the water, it kicked me more to the side. I was screwed at that point and it didn't take much to roll me over completely. I snapped a few inches off my sabiki rod and lost that rod holder as Doug said.

All in all, it might be a good thing to remind me I need to secure my cooler a lot better and find a way to keep it latched closed. I did have hook guards on my diving yozuri thank goodness. Been a long time since I put them on, but glad I did this time and I also left the new Daiwa Saltist at home, so another fortunate thing there. I was soaked to the core, head to toe all day but 4 layers of clothes helped insulate my wet ass enough to deal with it. Wind was crazy out there. Probably the windiest day I've experienced on the yak.

Saw big fish (presumably snapper)on the FF, but only caught 2 undersized snapper and a trigger. It was tough getting them to bite and I didn't have any live bait.

I'm not caving to the PA masses, but would have been nice to be able to stow my rods in the kayak and not have to have them upright when I roll. Though turning a PA back over if you ever got rolled in one, would be a serious pain I'm sure.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Mingo

How big were the waves and how strong was the wind?
superchua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
Lucky S.O.B
Grouper

I would estimate 20knt sustained and gusts up to 30. It was the worst wind I have encountered while out on the yak. During the ride in the wind was pushing from the north west driving every swell and wave to crash over the bow and drench me. My legs were on fire when we landed, and then having to drag my heavy ass yak up the beach to the parking lot made it worse. I will say that millertime did awesome considering it was his first adventure into the gulf, especially in those conditions. And even though Blackjeep rolled, we were able to rush out right away and help him scoop up his gear and right his yak. Like they say, it's not if you roll, but when. So, if you are considering heading into the gulf use these tips:

1. Go with someone else
2. Wear your life vest
3. Lash down everything you can
4. Keep your bow pointed straight into the waves, never get turned sideways
Ginzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
White Marlin

Yes. Good advice, you will roll so you have to be prepared. I got to witness pro's like yaksquatch roll front to back. It was an incredible sight. He was prepared and only lost a pair of sunglasses. I've rolled on the launch but not on the recovery. I am a fan of when it's rough to jump out and swim the yak in through the breakers.
chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Sailfish

Dang guys - that was some rough stuff to go out in. Glad everyone is safe. Good job getting some fish out of it.
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in