saturday and beyond - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Grouper

Default saturday and beyond

started out the day with yakavelli and specktacular over in perdido, weather was gorgeous but the fish were just not there and we poked around till specktacular had to leave and had caught one speck, never spotted another fish so we packed up and had wendy's with yakavelli.

after this we decided we had been too long without catching anything and left everything packed and went to 3mb. jason cooper met us at the boat ramp on 17th avenue. jason and michaela took off in the yaks and i gave a guy we met at the ramp a ride home when he discovered his keys had been stolen from his jetski while he was at flounders that afternoon. i got back to the ramp at 745pm with a light outbound tide and we headed for the bridge lights.

we got past the base of the first hump and the trout showed up so we dropped shrimp to catch up some small ones for potential bait but couldnt find any that were too small to eat so we loaded the stringer with 5 and headed out farther.

at the second stop we drifted around for a little bit before michaela and i experienced the worst line tangle we had ever seen. she drifted in front of me and we ended up nose to nose for a few seconds before both poles went off...my 4lb fenwick had a trout messing with it and she had a big red screaming drag off of our 20lb ugly stick. i popped my fish off with a good yank and tried to get my line in but it was too late, at this point shes starting to get dragged around and im having trouble doing something with my pole and still controlling my yak, i end up opening the bail and paddling over to her and about the time i get to her the fish was alongside her yak and spit the hook at her (not buying any more "croaker" style hooks) so she proceeds to untangle the poles while we drift. jason can chime in with his part of the story, i cant recall if he caught a red at this point or not, he managed a good haul for the night tho.

after the tangling incident we had so much redfish action it was possible to pick and choose what to try on them and fighting them with. i wasnt thinking and ended up in a pool of light about half way between the small hump and the large hump with the 4lb fenwick and half of a rotten shrimp dangling a few feet in the water and the reds were feeding like mad, a couple hit my hull before i could back out and i turned to tell my crew that we had a school on top when the little pole went horseshoe and started screaming....now i have a featherweight (4-10lb rating fenwick eagle gt) pole with a 1000 series reel and 4lb mono thats bent in half and screaming like a small jet engine and im alone drifting/being pulled towards the bridge, all i can do is work it till the leader breaks and pray, jason and michaela showed up alongside about the time i get pulled into the shadows underneath the main span and i cant believe the line is holding, jason was a total godsend and kept me lined up and able to fight the fish props to the native mariner for sure. after playing him in the pilings im completely blown away when i see the flash and ripple from my red and we circle up and jason manages to get a hand lightly on my 12lb flouro leader, as soon as the grippers hit the fish's lips the line snaps off in his fist and we all drift out from the main span to the west and catch our breath.

the fish ended up being exactly 27 inches and 18 in girth, we made him into "hobo-dinners" last night but i did get a pic of the fish and the pole i will post later.

the rest of the night was explosive and fun, i got a good 30" bull on my new 10lb pole and a 1/2 oz jighead with a gulp pogy. michaela caught another good bull on dead pinfish and he was gut hooked so we cut the leader and put him back, jason managed a few bulls, not sure how many. we landed back at the beach at approximately 130 and went for some waffle house to celebrate. pics to come soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Snapper

Awesome report man!!
Donnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Tangle Master
White Marlin

I was supposed to work Saturday night. But I wanted to go fishing. Just bought some stuff and installed on the Mariner and wanted to try it out. Walked in Papa Johns at 5:55 and every driver was on the clock and folding boxes. No orders on the screen. I asked right off the bat to go home. Angela asked what I had better to do and I told her I wanted to go fishing. She said go ahead. Ten minutes later I was headed to Outcast to get bait. Got a dozen shrimp and headed to 17th ave. Got in the water and me and Rufus' girlfriend headed up Bayou Texar while he took care of mr. Lost keys. No bites. Headed back to the ramp so Rufus could get his yak. Off to the bridge. Cleared the fishing pier and we started fishing. Fought the bait theiving trout for a while. Then held on to Michealas yak and kept her off pilings while she got untangled. Back to fishing. I was constantly fussing with these white trout so she gave me a pinfish. All the while I was constantly seeing reds bust in the lights. I tried freelining shrimp but he went down. Should have tried the popping float in my tackle bag. Then Rufus got hooked up on his light pole. Me and Micheala kept him out of pilings and got him in the middle. I got the fishgrips ready. Next time the red come by my yak i got the leader and fish grips on him. I hardly had the grips on him when the line broke. One more second and he would have been gone. We rested and back to fishing. I was drifting lights and look up and Micheala had a bull boat side. Trolled the outer edge of the light circle messing with a wax wing and my pinfish rod bends over and screams. Get the wax wing in and start fighting. Rufus comes over and he does not have the fish grips. Micheala has them and has her anchor hung on bottom. I loosen the drag some to wear him down while Rufus goes to help her. She gets unhung and I got the red wore down by then. We get him in the boat and he measures 25". First slot red in the Mariner! Push him under my seat and back to fishing. Rufus hangs another bull and i grab his yak and pull him out away from the bridge. Could not get lock left turn because the red moved around and blocked my rudder handle. Rufus gets his bull in and was 28". Released him. Then we worked on getting Micheala on a slot red. I was trolling a shrimp on a small hook. Few lights later my reel takes off. Few minutes later another 28" red. Release him. Rebait and back down. By then they are turned around heading in. I hauled ass to the next light and troll back towards them. Next piling reel takes off again. I hollar and they could not hear me. Wave my light and they turn ariund. Ten minutes later I have 37" bull red in my lap. Release him. I look up at Rufus and Micheala and I swear they were about to take my rods away!! So we head in. It was a very good night. All had fun.
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Tangle Master
White Marlin

Here is my slot red.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130318_140653.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  37.5 KB
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Grouper

lol i forgot about ur 28 incher, good addition to the report man, if we hadnt been on the water all day already we wouldve stayed out longer, we definitely left with the reds still feeding....next time.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Tangle Master
White Marlin

Here is Rufus with his upper slot red and the light pole he uses.

saturday and beyond-imag1359-jpg
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Tangle Master
White Marlin

Here is my big bull red.

saturday and beyond-imag1357-jpg
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Snapper

Hey jason just curious how was that black drum from the other night. Never ate one.
COALTRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
Tangle Master
White Marlin

He was good. Flaky almost like sheepshead.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Trigger

Nice job guys! I'm going to start trying for them reds more..and can't wait for the Sheepshead to start showing up!
reelndrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in