pelicans are crazy - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default pelicans are crazy

My biggest catch yesterday was a pelican.... I was casting my topwater at some bait that was getting busted up when a pelican comes done and takes it. My drag started screaming and I had no idea what to do. I ended up reeling him in next to the yak and noticed he was hooked in the mouth and side of his body . I had to use some unorthodox methods to free him up( it probly didn't look good to the vehicles passing by on the bridge.)

Anyone got any legal tips on fishing.around these things.
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Sailfish

Yes I ll post pics later today of what usually takes place, they can be annoying as heck. any fish though?
tips n tails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Snapper

I've read to cover the head and wait for them to calm down, then slowly and gently try and remove the hooks, and notify the fwc of any animal too wounded to release. I'm sure thats easier to read than to perform. Ive noticed a few of them taking a small interest in one of my subsurface rapalas, but havent taken the bait yet. Lucky me, because i have a hard enough time removing trebles from my net, mch less an angry pelican!
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

They may be crazy........but they sure are tasty!
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
White Marlin

Yea I had my first run in the other day on blackwater...thought he was gonna come in the boat after me. I raised the boat paddle at him to try and scare him and he didn't flinch... swung it in his direction and finally he decided to keep a little distance. PS didnt hurt the turd...
jcoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Red Snappa Slappa
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
They may be crazy........but they sure are tasty!
yea, I heard that too...they say it sort of taste like bald eagles.....
slayerextreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

He was released healthy enough to continue his harrasment .
We did manage a couple trout ,1 flounder Some striper and a sheepshead
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Trigger

x1. cover the head/eyes, it will help with any bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas142 View Post
I've read to cover the head and wait for them to calm down, then slowly and gently try and remove the hooks, and notify the fwc of any animal too wounded to release. I'm sure thats easier to read than to perform. Ive noticed a few of them taking a small interest in one of my subsurface rapalas, but havent taken the bait yet. Lucky me, because i have a hard enough time removing trebles from my net, mch less an angry pelican!
Duke S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbeast1210 View Post
My biggest catch yesterday was a pelican.... I was casting my topwater at some bait that was getting busted up when a pelican comes done and takes it. My drag started screaming and I had no idea what to do. I ended up reeling him in next to the yak and noticed he was hooked in the mouth and side of his body . I had to use some unorthodox methods to free him up( it probly didn't look good to the vehicles passing by on the bridge.)

Anyone got any legal tips on fishing.around these things.
I do not have any legal tips but I have hooked into a bird or two in the past. I was trolling a silver spoon out of Destin Pass and heard my drag screaming. I was excited of course until I noticed my line was not going down but up. I hooked into some kind of sea bird (can not remember which kind) I reeled him in and persuaded him to give me back my spoon. I came close to hooking a Pelican with a Pin Fish. Trophy and I were fishing his hole by the Destin Bridge. I rigged up the bait and tossed it by a piling a couple of them were sitting on. The little bastard came down and snatched up my Pin Fish as it was starting to sink. I gave the pole a good jerk and ripped the fish out of his beak before he was hooked.
wyld3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Mingo

While we are on the topic of birds that harass fisherman I have a particular bird that you need to watch out for, his name is Steve. He one of those Herons or something like that (the long legged birds). Steve lives down by Destin bridge and can be observed trying (sometimes successful) to steal bait out of bait buckets. I was throwing a cast net around catching a bunch of Cigar Minnows this past summer at the Destin Bridge and this is when I first saw him. I would dump my catch off in a big cooler and as I walked away he was using his beak to try and open my cooler. Steve is also a stalker, he will follow you while remaining about 20ft behind you. I would turn around and he would turn his head in the opposite direction as if to say "nothing to see here just minding my own business". I know its the same bird because he has a Pompano Jig stuck in his neck. I was fishing the grass by the Coast Guard station one day and had 2 rods with me. I set one down in a sand spike that had one of those Yozuri Crystal Shrimp on it. I walked away and looked back and there was Steve trying to eat my Yozuri off my pole.
wyld3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in