Panama City Area - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Panama City Area

Went out to where the Inter Coastal Waterway begins in West Bay on Sunday. There is a newer bridge and the older one is used for fishing. I decided to see if there were any Sheepshead or Black Drum there. I let a fiddler soak for about 5 min and had a Sheepshead on. I then headed east down the waterway towards the Chocatawatchee and worked the edges with a gold spoon as I let a live shrimp drift with me. My buddy was working a gold spoon and quickly had a keeper Trout. We made it down only about 800 meters from the bridge before we found a little hole to work and pulled 8 small trout out of it. It was starting to get dark so we headed back. Weather was real nice, wind was blocked by the trees and the water was calm as a lake. I ran into about 4 other Kayak Fisherman and talked for a few, it was a good day. I live on the North East side of the Chocatawatchee and it is not too far so I might venture back that way or even park one car on this side and one on the other to work the whole water way.
wyld3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Mingo

You talking about fishing the entire intercostal from the Chocatawatchee to West Bay? Sounds like a long trip.
superchua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Mingo

It would be a long trip, but a fun one. I am thinking sometime in the summer and make a 2 day trip out of it. I am going to check it out and try to find a spot around the mid way point that you could camp for the night. I will not be around this summer so I have alot of time to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Mingo

I've only fished the entrance on the Choctawachee side. I'm curious if there are any honey holes in the middle. I know that the current was running pretty strong last time I was in that area.
superchua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Mingo

I am sure there are, that side is really close to my house and I just now started to check it out. I have the next few weeks off so I plan to do just that, if I find one I will let you know. When I was on the West Bay side I ran into some guy who fishes there often he told me that the area around the bridge was real good and the area to the immediate west of it was not so good but between me and my buddy we pulled 8 trout from it. I was also told that about 1.5 miles to the west of the bridge there is an area that the banks of the water way are all rocks with a very rocky bottom. He said that area is loaded with fish. I am anxious to find out. I could imagine that the current could be strong there as its kind of a choke point. I checked the tides and they were not supposed to be strong the day I went and it was calm as a lake.

Last edited by wyld3man; 12-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Hey next time you want to go west from the 79 bridge let me know. I hear of the rocks there all the time but i havnt been yet always fishing to the east at crooked creek or burnt mill creek.
Neki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki View Post
Hey next time you want to go west from the 79 bridge let me know. I hear of the rocks there all the time but i havnt been yet always fishing to the east at crooked creek or burnt mill creek.
sounds good, I will let you know
Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Grouper

The only problem you may have with the trip along the intercoastal is the boat wake from the motor boats that blast through there without the least care for yakkers. It gets pretty narrow along some sections.
Foulhook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Mingo

I am the buddy that caught the trout. I am sure there are some good holes in the middle, there is a ton of potential in that area. I can't wait to fish it again in my new pro angler, just have to wait a while. In the mean time I am in basalt CO about to go throw some shrimp into what is called the "toilet bowl" on the roaring fork river. There are supposed to be some monster trout in there. You are all of course welcome to join me just remember to bring a coat and leave your shorts and flip flops at home! Tight lines.
cliphord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post
In the mean time I am in basalt CO about to go throw some shrimp into what is called the "toilet bowl" on the roaring fork river. There are supposed to be some monster trout in there.
Have fun in Colorado. We just ate some of that AJ you caught for dinner tonight and it was excellent. There isn't enough left for you though so you'll have to catch another one when you get back.
Trophyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in