Osprey kite - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Foulhook

Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Osprey kite

Finally hit the gulf today for the first time this year. It was a bit windy when I launched around 330 but it was certainly good to be on the water again. I launched in Destin and paddled toward the Miss Louise. No bait anywhere so I was trolling a lure for the fun of it. I did see three turtles (probably the same one twice - one small and two larger turtle sightings). A pod of dolphin came over to play with me. Neat-o but not conducive to catching fish. I did manage to catch two hard tails, one schoolie Spanish and an Osprey!

Yep, an Osprey! I was trolling and the drag started to run so I turned and grabbed my rod. It took a couple seconds to realize that my line was not in the water any longer but was instead going skyward. He made a couple of good "runs" pulling drag before I clamped it down and reeled him in. He made a couple of splash landings before I finally reeled him in along side the yak.

I was glad to see that the hooks were not embedded in his body. He was hooked in the back of his "foot" just above his back talon. I placed my hat over his head to try and calm him and I was eventually able to get his wings pinned to his side and turn him on his back which calmed him down.

Using my pliers, I got the trebble out of his leg but now he had the chin strap from my hat tangled in his talons. I had to pray them open one at a time to get my hat back. hardly any blood loss from either of us. I released him like you would launch a homing pigeon, by tossing him upward and he flew off headed for dry land.

Not a productive day on the water and my wife is mad that I hadn't taken my GoPro.
Snagged Line and Jgatorman like this.
Foulhook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Good story. I would venture a guess that not many of us will ever catch an osprey.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Snapper

I almost managed a water bird slam one day this late winter in East Bay. Hooked a pelican, a blue heron and a almost hooked an Osprey. All dove on a top water lure from above. Even the heron flew by and dove on it. I have had pelicans before, but never had a heron or osprey dive on my bait until that morning.
Fisherdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
Trigger

You sir are a brave and resource steward of the environment. Many people would cut the line almost insuring the death of the osprey rather than brave those talons.
snake 166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Grouper

I was hoping that the line would not break (pretty sure it wouldn't since it was 30# braid) so that he would not be handicapped by having the lure harming him or restricting his ability to feed. All worked out good in the end.
Foulhook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

When we were kids we used to have kite battles after school where you tried to foul your opponent's kite string or tail with the tail of your own kite and bring them down....Last kite in the air wins.....

Man oh man, the Milk money a trained bird kite could have won......lol

Sent through Tapatalk, even though they ruined it with "upgrades"...
Old 05-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
White Marlin

Man, great story! Good for you!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in