nearshore Navarre 5/10 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 05-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Trigger

Default nearshore Navarre 5/10

I went out this morning, and for the first time this spring, I didn't struggle with bait. I had more palm sized hard tails than I knew what to do with today.

I trolled the same two baits for about 6 miles, and defeated, unhooked them at the second bar and they swam away. I went in and caught ladyfish off the beach to make myself feel better.

Off day, or have the sails and mahi moved on? There were gigantic bait balls out there in 50-55' of water but i wasn't sure how to present to 'em.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
Trigger

Sat was terrible too! There was a bunch of guys out there but I dont think anyone caught anything worth mentioning. Cigs were everywhere but wouldn't touch my sabiki. Trolled live hardtails, dead ballyhoo, and yozuri crystal minnows With no luck!!
spencer618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Pelagics are here one day and gone the next. That's the way it is. However just randomly trolling isn't ideal for either. I have my "go to" trolling spots just like I have my go to bottom spots. I got a decent dolphin the last time I was out on Thursday and my clients on the boat jumped one off out of Pcola today. I wouldn't count them out just yet but they aren't around like they were last weekend though!

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Trigger

I think now we have a lot more of the small stuff hanging around that might not want to get into a hardtail. I had the same thing happen on Friday. The blue runner were thicker than everything else bait-wise so I ended up having to use them. Had a real lively blue runner about 10" long on for about two hours of drifting and trolling before a small king finally ripped it without setting the hook. While live cigs, sardines, herring on a flatline however get smashed reliably within 20-30 minutes tops, the last few times I've been out. I guess you're less likely to have one of the big boys when using those smaller baits though? You'll also be going through a lot more bait due to the small kings, spanish and occasional remora that you'll be getting.

Last edited by boomyak; 05-10-2015 at 10:46 PM.
boomyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Mingo

I trolled dead cigs Friday morning and had kings and Bonita action all morning. Sometimes dead can be better than live bait since it obviously looks more injured. jd do your go to trolling spots consist of structure like chicken coops or just certain areas along the depth changes?
wde414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 AM   #6
Trigger

yea I was out late last week too, and was up to my ears in bobos with the occasional king. Today was a whole different animal. I towed around cigcicles for a while, as well as deep divers and hard tails with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I was just curious if it was time to give up on the pelagics, but I'll give it til the end of the month. Another member also just posted a mahi report. Of course one of my friends had to go and get married last weekend so I missed out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in