Navarre specks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Killroy
  • 1 Post By Killroy

Old 05-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Navarre specks

Spent all last week waiting for the kings to come in, or the waves to lay down so I could take a kayak out to them. Wound up catching several bobos off the pier and a few Atlantic moonfish. No kings. Friday I took the Perception out in the sound and caught seven specks. I was on the water at daylight and off by 8:00. Had two keepers and missed the only red I saw. Caught on a gulp new penny shrimp below a green popping cork. Didn't have the first hit until an hour after daylight and I fished the same spot the whole time. All were caught over grass in less than 3 foot of water. I thought they acted a bit odd but was happy with my last morning there. Went to the pier and caught a bunch of bobos afterwards. Yay for tuna salad (yeah yeah, everybody says they are nasty but I make tuna salad and have people ask me all the time when will I bring them more).Spent all last week waiting for the kings to come in, or the waves to lay down so I could take a kayak out to them. Wound up catching several bobos off the pier and a few Atlantic moonfish. No kings. Friday I took the Perception out in the sound and caught seven specks. I was on the water at daylight and off by 8:00. Had two keepers and missed the only red I saw. Caught on a gulp new penny shrimp below a green popping cork. Didn't have the first hit until an hour after daylight and I fished the same spot the whole time. All were caught over grass in less than 3 foot of water. I thought they acted a bit odd but was happy with my last morning there. Went to the pier and caught a bunch of bobos afterwards. Yay for tuna salad (yeah yeah, everybody says they are nasty but I make tuna salad and have people ask me all the time when will I bring them more).
Attached Thumbnails
Navarre specks-screenshot_2017-05-28-16-47-29_1496008073217-png   Navarre specks-img_20170526_060552_1496008094801-jpg   Navarre specks-img_20170525_074514_1496008126783-jpg  
Killroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

I can't get one pic to load.
Attached Thumbnails
Navarre specks-screenshot_2017-05-28-16-47-29_1496008239928-png  
Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Attached Thumbnails
Navarre specks-img_20170526_081417_1496008299180-jpg  

Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

hell yea! Good report thanks for sharing
Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Trigger

Can you post a pic of the Bonita you're eating and possibly your tuna salad recipe? I tried one a few years back in South Florida and was less than impressed, but I've heard the same report you're giving a few times so I'm tempted to give them another shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watergator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by watergator View Post
Can you post a pic of the Bonita you're eating and possibly your tuna salad recipe? I tried one a few years back in South Florida and was less than impressed, but I've heard the same report you're giving a few times so I'm tempted to give them another shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure thing. They are little tunnys. Don't see all too many Atlantic bonito, though I have caught a few. A lot of people in the area call the little tunnys "bonito" and the actual bonito "northern mackerel." All the pier guys will argue with you if you tell them different so I just call them bonito to fit in. The little tunnys have the chain or worm-like markings on the back and the bonito have straight lines. There are comparison pics on Google. Don't look anything alike except for shape.

Cut off the nice pretty meat on the top and bottom of the filet just like a blackfin and leave the blood line behind. Cut out the ribs. Boil. Add olive oil mayo, diced onion, diced celery, dill pickle relish, and pepper to taste. Done.

A lot of people go into it thinking the meat is bad so they doctor it up.
I cooked all of those pictured on Sunday at lunch and it was all gone Monday morning. I hate store bought tuna salad too. Nobody in my family eats it.
Attached Thumbnails
Navarre specks-img_20170521_084534_1496055510854-jpg  
Gamecocky likes this.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

http://www.floridagofishing.com/news...rade-tuna.html

Here is a link to a good article on the difference.
slivkamj likes this.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

@killroy
Ive been seeing this mentioned around. Ive too have been using what we were told were bonito as bait for the past few years because it does make for fantastic bait, 100% identical to the little tunny from that article.

Has anyone tried eating the little tunny as steaks on the grill? It has a high oil content so probably wouldnt be the best sushi compared to yellow fin or black fin so who knows.
Gamecocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

I always eat a little bit as sushi. Cooked some as an experiment on Friday with wasabi, soy sauce, and butter. It was good. Definitely not trash. Thanks for an open mind guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in