Navarre Beach 3/16/2016 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree12Likes

Old 03-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Navarre Beach 3/16/2016

Decided to take the morning off and see if there were any cobia or kings around since the water temp is hovering around 68. Got to Navarre Beach about 10 minutes before first light and unloaded everything and waited for light to check out the surf conditions. Water was high, very high. This meant that at parking lot 7, there were 2 sets of breakers. I packed everything up and moved to parking lot 12 and everything looked beautiful.

Once past the surf I saw bait on the fish finder, thought it was still a little early for that but there was definitely bait there (not sure what sort). Once I hit 15’ of water I rigged up a cigiscle with a green/yellow/orange duster and a 1/8oz bullet weight on the head on one side and a big eel lure on the other in hopes of a cobia even though I wasn’t going to be patrolling the bar.

Here starts the events that made me nervous. Once I started trolling I heard “splashes” and such behind the kayak. I have kayaked and kayak fished a lot, this is not something I had ever heard as often as I did today. I started looking behind me after the 4th/5th time of hearing is and noticed a “disturbance” about 3-5’ behind the kayak, not the normal track ripples before someone says something like that. These splashes and disturbances in the water continued the entire trip till I hit about 15-18’ of water on the way back in.

Trolled out to 40-44’ seeing lots of bait on the finder along with the occasional (guessing) shark. Once I hit 40-44’ the cigar gets slammed, line peeling off for 3-4 seconds then nothing… missed the hook. Re-rigged another cigar and noticed something large and silver jumping further out. It was big and appeared to be solo, made 3 jumps 15-30 seconds apart from one another.

Decided to go after whatever was jumping and made it to roughly 55’ before the cigar gets hit. I watch the rod bend slowly, then slack. I stopped paddling and played the waiting game for as long as it took me to get the other line in, at almost that exact moment line starts getting stripped from the TLD – Game on!

Slow run, doesn’t feel very promising. I let it go with fairly loose drag till it stops running then bump the drag up just a tad and try to get the yak over top of whatever it is. At this point it finally realizes it’s hooked and I get a decent run making me think that maybe it is something worthwhile… till the end of the run when I feel a couple headshakes and then feel a bump and the line goes slack. Get the slack back on the reel and it’s still there, starting to feel more and more sharky with the slow runs, shakes and “bump” to change direction.

The fight continues for roughly 20-25 minutes, then I hear what sounded like a gunshot followed by the loudest splash I have ever heard in my life. Something very big had skied 30-50’ behind me (fish was deep and under the yak at this point in time). The struggle went on for about another 15-20 minutes, at which point something happened. I will try and describe it in the only way I can. Something hit the kayak, now I have been bumped by sharks before but this, this felt like I was in a rear-end collision there was that much force. At this point I decide that I’m either getting this fish to the yak or breaking my line, either will enable me to head to the beach as I’ve had enough for the day. Put my thumbs on the reel and slowly raise the rod, get 2 good rotations of this in before the line snaps.

Like I have said, I have kayaked and kayak fished for a while now. I also was in to land-based shark fishing for roughly 5 years and was on the beach paddling bloody baits out in the middle of the night at least 3-4 times a week during that point of my life. I have been bumped by bull sharks before, I have seen shadows larger than the kayak swimming next to me. I am not one to scare easily on the water, but with everything together today I will say, I was pretty spooked.
Quackjn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Grouper

Sounds like you might have found Mr Mako, I had the same type of experience last year minus the rear end collision and bumps. I would be trolling a couple of cigs on calcutta 700s in my PA and I would hear some excessive commotion but every time I would turn around to grab the rod all I saw was the surface disturbed. Every time the hook would either pull almost immediately or break off 80lb floro that looked as if it rubbed all the way up a concrete piling. Eventually caught a 7 ft blacktip later that day. I also was solo once and something about 10yds off my starboard bow put a big hole in the surface of the water when it breached. Scared me half to death for a second! Whatever it was it was huge and made quite a commotion! Sometimes I wonder what in the hell am I doing in this tub o plastic in the middle of the gulf but it soon fades especially when the drag starts to scream or some super cool marine life shows up and sometimes all it takes is the view!
Jgatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
Mingo

I was thinking what I saw jumping (and heard jump) was a mako, I just don't like to say it unless I know for sure. As for the bump, I am pretty certain it was a shark of some sort. I am pretty sure every event today was sharks lol. I was alone today and was asking myself what in the world I am doing, just like you said you do at times lol.
parrothead and Sunshine17 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Trigger

?
I think I would have to change my shorts. Never had any shark encounters while in the yak......yet.

Reminds you you're not top dog out there.
duckhunter38135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Right time of year for a big Mako and they ain't scared of shit!!!
timjb83 and Jgatorman like this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Right time of year for a big Mako and they ain't scared of shit!!!
Yes, yes it is the right time of the year. Still amazes me how many people from the panhandle have no idea that every year from Feb-March the big mako and tigers are in close. I mean, I've lived here 6 years and noticed the trend very very quick, yet it makes the news every single year.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Mingo

I remember seeing reports of people catching 800 lb makos from the beach in spring time. Honestly it's the main reason I haven't launched yet this spring. I caught a 70 lb mako when I was a teenager and it was the meanest creature I've ever encountered. I have nightmares about being in a kayak near one.
GrandIsle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
Trigger

Awesome report, thanks for sharing.
jonscott8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
Trigger

Cool

I remember a few years ago the Go Pro video Ginzu posted of a 12 footer circling them. CRAZY!!!
GatorBane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I have a video when I yaked Navarre about 2 years ago of a mako skying! He was in a huge school of bo-bo's and a bit of a distance off...That's what it sounds like though.
It's at the 14 second mark on the right side!!! You'll have to see it on big screen to tell...

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in