Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By LIM-IT-OUT
  • 1 Post By FLfishR
  • 2 Post By LIM-IT-OUT

Old 06-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default My First Kayak Tournament Experience GCKFA

Started off by launching the 14' Hobie PA at 0500, a big thanks to Marty Mood for lending me the boat and making this event possible for me. Condition were decent that morning considering the lightning and thunder storm that woke me up at 0330. Once on the water it was a light rain mixed in with heavy rain and spots of sunshine throughout the day with plenty of wind on top of it all....

Early morning 0430 Im pumped up.... I love fishin the rain and wind I always feel like the chance at a monster is at a high when the conditions are far from the per - say optimal.

0530 I begin fishin:: first chucking a Reaction Innovations top water Vixen.... for some reason or another topwater just didnt feel right, after only catching a few trout. Nor did my spot.... so in the distance I can see another 1 of my go2 spots not part of the plan but I knew it was yakable so I opted for the change of location cutting away time from the morning bite....

While in transit at 3mph lol I really got to take in the beauty around me 2 rainbows, birds chirping in the grass, the sound of water all cool stuff that I usually dont pay much attention to with a screaming outboard behind me.

So I get to my second location again with the topwater..... and nothing, are you kidding me! I see mullet flapping, I hear specks popping and see wakes across the bank shoreline.

I then pick up my secret weapon.......... a Rapala Shadow Rap Shad!!! This lure has done some serious damage on some giant trout for me lately. And with mullet all around its a great match the hatch bait..... This area Im fishing is NO deeper then 2ft with plenty of grass as tall as a 6"
A.perfect scenario for this shallow running / floating jerkbait....

I immediately start catching specks on just about every cast ranging from 12-21" not the bites Im looking for but happy to have figured something out. In a tournament nothing gets in your head like not catching fish. So with my confidence up I move to my spot on the spot. This is the cherry its made up of a point has a shallow creek near by and a sand bar all working in conjunction with it. The mullet here couldnt stay in the water for longer then 2 seconds. Optimal looking area

After about 8 minutes of being staked out I make a cast into the hot zone.... Thank you Keith Morrison for lending me the pole without it I would have spooked Momma!

I make a bomb cast into the mullet huddle rip-rip- pause- rip ...... Pow!!!! Oh!!! Fish on!!! Here's my slot red hahahaha then she head shakes from hell..... ohhh Sh!t thats a trout
.... kness shaking I start to do the fishermens prayer please lord let me catch this fish Oh God please dont come off oh girl keep your head down..... then she leads completely out the water. I saw this in perfect slomo.... mouth wide open and yellow and she had the perfect pose in mid air; body vertical but her head was bent over looking right at me like a poster card of a bass but this was a real life Speck hahahah

I really really took my time with this fish I specifically remember saying " I have all the time in the world girl.... all the time in the world" after exhausting her, I grab the net and scoop her after 1 miss.... ffffeeeewwww . And then came the screaming out loud.... " PA-POW " !!!!! there was a lady in a boat not far away cheering me on.... I think she heard me doin the fishermens prayer as well hahahaha turned out to be a 24.5" Trout.

I grab my emotions together get squared away and make another cast.... thump! Ha really? I set the hook and immediately drag goes off in 1 direction.... are u kidding this is my red!!!! Im now already thinking all I need is a flounder after this and its not even 7am yet!

After 2 runs and blowing up the entire flat the fish is kind of just beeing lazy near the boat so I tighten up my drag in hopes to pull her in reach of a net shot..... and then she head shook 1 last time and threw the hook..... uhhhh.... heart just broke in half.... dang it.... son of a..... oh my god was all about I could say and do....

I made 50 more casts in that area but that red scared everything away except for a few trout....

I fished all around the area to no avail except for a few trout.... I bump into a boat and chat for a moment and he said they just caught a few reds earlier in the area but by this time all the fish seemed up to speed with the pressure.... and the reds seemed to have spread out.

So I pack it up and hull the truck and yak to another destination. And there's a fellow charter Capt on the spot and it was slow so I picked upbthe yak and hulled butt around town again I did this about 4 times..... its exhausting to load and unload a yak... peddle to your destination, fish, peddle back, load it back up just to unload it again...... hahahaha not easy in 20mph winds and rain.... lots of rain.

To sum it up I never did find another red.... my area just never seemed to pick back up after 9am and I didnt want to drive to another body of water..... more time with a wet line and less time in the truck was part of my strategy.

I ended up with 2nd place speck at 4.4lbs

Had the chance to compete with some good sticks in the yak world

Got to meet alot of the local yak PRO'S and hardcore enthusiasts.

Made some money

And as always had a great time on the water doin what we all love to do. Until next time tight lines and good fishin
Attached Thumbnails
My First Kayak Tournament Experience GCKFA-part_1465116389135_20160604_173258-jpg   My First Kayak Tournament Experience GCKFA-part_1465116334196_20160604_160451-jpg  
Bigdady, BVANWHY, timjb83 and 7 others like this.

Last edited by LIM-IT-OUT; 06-05-2016 at 03:27 PM.
LIM-IT-OUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

Lets Do This Again!!! Already thinking of my strategy LOL
Old 01-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

A trout like that is my new goal. Good job!
AlbinoTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Mingo

I haven't heard anything about the GCKFA Tournament for this year, does anyone know if they are having one?
speckhunter944 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Same here...already thinkin about it! Hahaha!
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Trigger

I haven't heard anything from the annual tournaments around the gulf coast. All the facebook pages/ websites still have 2016 information. It is a great way to travel and fish new areas.
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.
FLfishR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #7
Mingo

Talked to Brian @ Pensacola Kayak and Sail he hasn't heard anything about the GCKFA Tournament either.
speckhunter944 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Its still early..... but would be nice if the tournament directors would give us a date.

Im lookin forward to it. And I have a strong lean towards doin the IFA this year.
speckhunter944 and NKlamerus like this.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #9
Mingo

How do you find out about all the tournament's? Is there a website that displays all the local ones by chance?
ChrisP14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP14 View Post
How do you find out about all the tournament's? Is there a website that displays all the local ones by chance?
Friends they're all fishermen, tackle shops, pff, kayak dealers, and face book them all

this post was from last spring so you havent missed it this year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in