The mahi are still out there - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default The mahi are still out there

Hit the beach after I dropped my daughter off at school with hopes of hooking into something colorful after seeing the haul from the tourney.

Not long after putting my only line out, only have one rod holder, I got a little hit on the naked ballyhoo. I had been seeing several remora and because it was barely pulling out the loose drag set for kings, I gave it a half ass hook set and started cranking it in.

Once the fish came close enough to see I see blue a gold and its a really nice fish. I then really set the hook and the fish went ballistic, jumped well over head high and spit my ballyhoo right back at me. This was a solid mahi mahi, especially from a yak.

Oh well, if there is one, there is more.

Not long later a big loggerhead pops up not more then fifteen yards of the port side of my kayak. I see three fish on it and reel up the ballyhoo and grab my ling rod. The three fish left the turtle and came straight at me, the first two were remora but the third was the brown clown. Because they were swimming to me my jig was behind the fish and he whorled around and inhaled the jig barely a rod length from the yak. Unfortunately I didnt have a law stick and he would have needed a measure so off he went.

Around eleven I get another soft hit like the first mahi, this time I free spool and let the fish eat and then let him have it. Its another mahi but alot smaller at twenty two inches.

I called it a day after running out of ballyhoo and not getting hits on cigcicles.

Sorry for the long report but this was my first time at really attempting to troll and to hook up two mahi, land one and land a cobia Im pretty happy.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Grouper

sounds like a fun day... nice read.
pompanopete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Mingo

Were you trolling the ballyhoo on wire leader with a treble hook? I've never fished for dolphin but am thinking about giving it a shot this afternoon

Last edited by jeepnsurf; 04-30-2012 at 06:13 PM.
jeepnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Congrats you need a camera now reports make being stuck at home alot better .
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

I just had a cheater rig. Two trebles on twenty seven pound seven strand. The ballyhoo spun a little but I figured mahi would eat just about anything.

Because I only have a paddle kayak are there any islander type rigs that are light enough that wont sink too fast when ever I take a break and I take a short breather every couple hundred yards or so?

I did forget my water bottle today to so trolling for about four hours with not the first thing to drink wasnt all that fun.

I do wish I had a go pro. Would of had some great shots of the cobia and mahi today.

Last edited by JD7.62; 04-30-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

I just realized something too, Ive landed a mahi and cobia from my kayak before a king. I suppose that doesnt happen too often.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post

Because I only have a paddle kayak are there any islander type rigs that are light enough that wont sink too fast when ever I take a break and I take a short breather
Have you tried a kingbuster? Basically a mini Islander. We used them all the time when I fished SKA. The Mahi and wahoo loved them too cause of the extra color and flash. Come in packs of 3 for about $5.
Boondocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocks View Post
Have you tried a kingbuster? Basically a mini Islander. We used them all the time when I fished SKA. The Mahi and wahoo loved them too cause of the extra color and flash. Come in packs of 3 for about $5.
I looked at them but couldnt tell if they would keep the bait from spinning.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Sailfish

Thanks for the report!!! Sounds like you had a adventure of a day!
Snatch it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in