Little Lagoon Gulf Shores - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Chris V

Old 03-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Little Lagoon Gulf Shores

Took my kayak out for the first time and tried a little fishing in Little Lagoon. Launched from Moes Landing and crossed to the other side to fish the docks. No luck. Then let the wind push me back to the middle while I blind cast. Still no luck. Paddled back towards some other piers and had one trout hit and self release next to my kayak. Small but still something. Fished from about 1 to 330 this afternoon. Not much luck fishing but it was nice to get on the water. Had never fished little lagoon so for all I know I was in the wrong spots.
Pilotdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I grew up on the Lagoon and can tell you its a very tricky place to fish if you don't know it well. The piers would seem like obvious spots to fish, but they are usually very shallow and only seem to hold fish at night when the lights are on. Most of the fish will hold to the edges of bars, sit in deep troughs and potholes and sit outside of small creek and inlet mouths.

Its challenging to learn, but very worth it once you do. probably one of the best places around to get a 8+lb speck if you put in the time.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks Chris. I will have to follow you out there one day. I saw someone else fishing from a kayak in one of those pedaling kayaks (sorry dont know my brands) I waved but I think they were in a hurry heading somewhere.
Pilotdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Offshore Yakin
Cigar Minnow

There aren't any fish in there! Who lied to you?

Just find you a decent depth finder and look for what looks like little bumps on the bottom (grass) once it starts growing. I've found about 5' with little bits of grass have produced well in the past around this time of year. These were eaters though, not gators as I have seen first hand pulled out of there.

Guys with the peddle yaks like to just troll for the trout. Once you catch one or two in an area, it is easy to find them.
YakATech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I will be heading to GS next week till May and fishin LL day and nite, Also wanna try Oyster Bay area, 3 Rivers and Navy Cove.. 1st time to this area but spend lots of time in the Sarasota for snooks and south Texas for the tailing reds on the fly.
Exploring new water is always fun and a challenge..

May see ya on the water ---- Tightlinz
flydoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdad View Post
Took my kayak out for the first time and tried a little fishing in Little Lagoon. Launched from Moes Landing and crossed to the other side to fish the docks. No luck. Then let the wind push me back to the middle while I blind cast. Still no luck. Paddled back towards some other piers and had one trout hit and self release next to my kayak. Small but still something. Fished from about 1 to 330 this afternoon. Not much luck fishing but it was nice to get on the water. Had never fished little lagoon so for all I know I was in the wrong spots.
Like Chris said by the piers are real shallow especially those straight across from Moe's Landing at night you can get some off the lights their. You do need to have a depth finder unless you know the water. To find the drop offs. Does not have to be real deep but finding ledges and dips even if it only two feet off the flats seem to work.
Thrillbillies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in