a little help please - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default a little help please

just bought a kayak ony a 10 footer. wanting to know the rules of night kayaking. do i need lights do they sell light kits. does a kayak need to be regesterd. thank you for any help would be great...
babyblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
The Yakslayer
Snapper

Kayaks do not have to be registered. You need a 360 degree light on it. Many use the Yak attack lights or make something on their own. You should also have a headlight. A light on your head that is. It's a safety thing and can be used for signalling, but it's also a lot easier to see what you're doing with it. A noise signal such as a whistle is a great idea too and may actually be required, though I'm not quite sure of this and have never been asked about it. My headlamp has a whistle built in as part of the strap adjustment. It's a Petzl. Many of us also put reflective tape on our yaks. I'd highly recommend this. You should never underestimate the stupidity of others. If there is a chance for someone to do something stupid, they will. Like some boaters who run full throttle on Pcola bay at night with no lights at all. I've seen that. Lights, reflective tape, and whistles don't eliminate stupid people, but it makes it harder for them to ruin your night.

Life jackets are required equipment and the ticket will cost you $90 if you are without it. Pay attention to what classification it is. Some need to be worn, others just need to be accessible. I wear mine when the water is below 70 degrees or conditions are rough, otherwise it sits on the bow of my yak. Some prefer to wear them all the time, which is definitely the safest approach. My lifejacket also has a whistle clipped to it. Bought it at Walmart. Has a thermometer and compass built into it.

Last edited by BlackJeep; 03-31-2012 at 02:50 PM.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Mingo

All of those are good info, I think the whistle or air horn of some type are required at all times. I have not taken mine out at night yet but I love to fish at night so I am sure I will want to soon so I am glad you asked this question on here. Does anyone on here fish Hog Towne Bayou at night? I have fished it a couple of times during the day and have had a good time.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Sailfish

Good info above. You are required to have a 360* light whistle and life jacket you are not required to wear your life jacket but must be easily accessible I always wear a head light and have a back up in my crate the more noticeable you are the better as stated above there are idiots out there be careful and prepared
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Actually it would be good to have two lights showing because you don't get proper depth percertion with one light.Some one in a power boat might think you are a ways off and be a lot closser than either of you realize.
xxxxxxxxxbowwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Floridian
Mingo

When night fishing, we always take a flashlight or headlight, glowstick, and the 360 light. In the event of a battery failure, dropped light, etc- you have at least 1 working backup- A flashlight is also handy to signal an oncoming boater that may be gettig too close. I like to keep my PFD on if I am in traveled waters at night, with the glowstick and a whistle attached- just in case of an accident (then my signal devices are with me no matter what).
Although registering your kayak / canoe is not generally required if it is unaltered paddle / peddle power, if you add any type of electric or gas powered motor- then it must be registered (Required by AL law).
There are tonnes of great suggestions around for kayak safety- most is just common sense. One I see missed most often is a float plan. Let someone know where you are going, and how long you plan on being gone (especially if you are going alone). Take appropriate equipment for your trip. Wear appropriate clothing, wear a waterproof sunscreen, etc... One other thing- prepare for your trip expecting to get wet. Most kayak anglers don't like to think about it, but there is always the possibility you will get rolled- whether by a rude boater, rouge wave, or anything. Always try to have you and your kayak prepared before and during your adventure so you know you will be able to reboard your kayak and recover your gear (sorry, dry isn't in that equation).
I'm sure there will be more suggestions to come- HAVE FUN!!
Mike
aboutscubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in