Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Ptpainton
  • 3 Post By Brads
  • 1 Post By cody&ryand

Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Last Sat from Ft. Pickens

Got some public numbers in my bottom machines and me and my son headed out to see what we could catch. The bait was not there, between the two of us we got maybe 4-5 CM's and a hardtail. Went out dragging our cigar minnows and I boated a nice King pretty quick then it was very slow going for 3-4 hours. We went to the closest numbers and checked them out, wasn't finding anything outstanding on the bottom and no bites so we eased out a little further to the Coal Barges. There were 4-5 boats anchored around them, I had never been there so I eased in between them and took a look. Sure enough there they were but I was not marking anything not even bait. I had been watching the boats for 30-45 min from afar and never saw anyone boat a fish or bait. We moved over to some spots a little further east and finally marked some good structure but no fish, managed to pull up a nice trigger, a baby snapper and something I couldn't identify. My son had still not boated a fish, we started back and bang his drag starts screaming and he boats a nice King! I snag another one, a really nice one and on the first run he pulls off. Then one even better and I get him to the boat but I barely bump the wire leader with my gaff and say good bye If we had just trolled there is not telling how much action we would have had but I was after Snapper. I could see probably 15 boats total setting on a lot of the public spots not catching fish. I think from what I could see it was a slow morning and those spots are probably over pressured. Weather was beautiful and got to see my oldest son land a nice fish. We were blessed.
matador1 and jonscott8 like this.

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Pushing the Limits of time.
Ptpainton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Nice report, do you fish with your son on your outback or do you have two separate boats? Looking to get my kids out with me eventually, just trying to decide on the logistics.
feef706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 AM   #3
Trigger

Good times,
Give Navarre a shot for snapper by the old red brick blg before scenic highway..There are plenty of coops, fads/junk that hold in the 50 60 ft range. They shift a bit, but there out there. No boats! You want bait, hit the float tubes pumping sand for the beach. Bait everywhere, big smokers circle that area, just need to get a lively one baited up and away from there school and its on. Good report, just wanted to pay it forward.
lake13, Ptpainton and jonscott8 like this.
Brads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Snapper

I went out of Destin in a motor boat last weekend hitting up lots of public numbers. I got the same impression that there is lots of pressure on those spots. Tons of boats on em, not many fish, most of what we caught was undersize. I usually fish out of walton county so I was not used to seeing so many boats. We saw a pontoon boat miles offshore. I'm glad to hear that Navarre has some structure that isn't covered with fishing boats
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Trigger

Default 2 boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by feef706 View Post
Nice report, do you fish with your son on your outback or do you have two separate boats? Looking to get my kids out with me eventually, just trying to decide on the logistics.
I have an Oasis and an OB. He uses the Oasis. I use it sometimes with my wife. The Oasis or the Outfitter are great boats for 1 person or 2 I would not try to take two in an OB no matter the size of the child. I got my Oasis used for 1800 a couple years ago.

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Pushing the Limits of time.
Ptpainton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I have an outfitter I will let go after the 21st.
$2000 in great shape with cart, paddles, and 2 life jackets.
yakitiyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
White Marlin

Ok just My 2 Cents Fish Can Still Be Caught At The Nearshore Public Numbers Just Have To Change It Up A Little From The Usual. Try Chuming fish higher in the water column and use a longer and lighter leader like 30 or even 20 lb but glad yall got some kings
Ptpainton likes this.
cody&ryand is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in