Kayaks for newbies? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Kayaks for newbies?

Hey everyone. My wife and I live in the NW, and fishing is our thing. We have enjoyed visiting the Pensacola area and plan to start spending some time down there, especially during the winter months. Thought about buying and storing a conventional boat, but after watching a bunch of vids wonder if we couldn't learn the area a bit and be well served by a couple kayaks for a while?

I'm 55, wife is 54. I'm a decent sized guy, 225lbs. Wife is 165. Not thinking of hard core launching into the surf. Thinking more like fairly protected water like the grass flats around Big Lagoon, Bayou Grande, etc. Not as worried about budget as I am getting a couple of safe, stable kayak's that would serve us well for fishing and learning some of the backwater areas. I believe they have to be pedal drive. From what I've read, for stability the Hobie Pro Anglers seem to be pretty tough to beat? I'm wondering if a Pro Angler 14 for me and a Pro Angler 12 for the wife might be a good way to go? Does the Hobie Ama outrigger system make those things a lot more difficult to flip?

We will be able to visit for a month or so at a time many times. I assume with just exploring areas like Big Lagoon, and sticking fairly close to some of the launches we should be able to learn the ropes a bit and catch some fish? Mostly interested in red and specks.

jAny advice or thoughts would be genuinely appreciated.

Last edited by drysideshooter; 06-05-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo
drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #2
Mingo

I own a Hobie Revolution and fish from it about 2 days a week on average. My thought is if you stay in protected water and don’t do anything stupid you won’t flip , with or without the outriggers.

Others will be proponents of other brands of kayaks but I bought my Hobie and love it. The Pro Anglers are made to fish out. They are heavy so plan on getting a trailer.

~JOE~
60hertz likes this.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Sailfish

Don't know about kayaks but my wife would kill me if I posted her weight and age on here.
ONEOLDCHIEF likes this.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Don't know about kayaks but my wife would kill me if I posted her weight and age on here.
That made me smile! Wife is an ex model, 5'10 auburn haired green eyed hottie. Still takes my breath away and turns guys heads. Nobody believes her age when they see her.

I apologize, I realize I posted this in the wrong part of the kayak forum by accident. My wife isn't totally sold on the idea of kayaks. We may end up going with a medium sized skiff of some type.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
I own a Hobie Revolution and fish from it about 2 days a week on average. My thought is if you stay in protected water and donít do anything stupid you wonít flip , with or without the outriggers.

Others will be proponents of other brands of kayaks but I bought my Hobie and love it. The Pro Anglers are made to fish out. They are heavy so plan on getting a trailer.

~JOE~
We have a couple year old F-150 4x4 we are going to drive down and leave there. If we go the kayak route we will probably get a roof rack with kayak saddles. We know a guy here in the NW that has two Hobie Outback's and he has rollers that flip up at the back of his rack to make sliding the kayaks up onto the rack pretty easy. Once they are on the rack he flips the rollers down and secures them into the saddles. I think the saddles me mounted to his rack were made by Yakima (close by) or Thule. IF we go the skiff route we will use the truck for towing.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Snapper

In my opinion, the extra stability you will get from that Hobi makes standing possible, but for just sit down kayaking and fising any decent kayak is plenty stable.
I would consider smaller yaks. I think you want over 12 ft for the gulf, but for protected waters I would test drive a 10 ft for her and 12 ft for you. THey will be lighter and easier to load and move around. If you are here in the winter there isn't much to pursue in the gulf anyways.
I'm a big fan of buying used kayaks to make money go further.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Trigger

Go with a Hobie Compass for you both. No need for PA's unless you're pretty serious about your fishing and gear hauling needs.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivarie View Post
Go with a Hobie Compass for you both. No need for PA's unless you're pretty serious about your fishing and gear hauling needs.
if you're 225, I wouldn't recommend a compass.

Maybe consider an outback or PA for yourself and a compass for the wife.

I did the same thing - I have a PA and wife has a compass.

I fish by myself a lot, she goes when the weather is good and stuff - my justification was that if I had a PA then I'd haul all the gear and she could just put a small cooler on hers. She loved the idea of not having a bunch of stuff to haul. I loved the idea of having the larger PA.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60hertz View Post
if you're 225, I wouldn't recommend a compass.

Maybe consider an outback or PA for yourself and a compass for the wife.

I did the same thing - I have a PA and wife has a compass.

I fish by myself a lot, she goes when the weather is good and stuff - my justification was that if I had a PA then I'd haul all the gear and she could just put a small cooler on hers. She loved the idea of not having a bunch of stuff to haul. I loved the idea of having the larger PA.
That's fair, the compass has a weight capacity of 400lbs. The outback is 425lbs. Both are fine for a 225 person. But if you are a gear hauler, then go with the PA, cause it bumps up to 500lbs capacity for the 12'.
Ivarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone, it is genuinely appreciated. Right now we are thinking we will buy a couple kayaks locally and try them out. We spend about 5 days a week on average fishing in our boat, but we have some great locations for kayak fishing, and we already have a 14' trailer we can use to haul a couple of kayaks. I have a locking metal box I could mount on the front of the trailer to put the drives and such in while traveling.

Somewhat considering an Outback for both of us, or an Outback for me and a compass for the wife. I'm not sure she would really mind not having reverse?

Locally there is someone selling a 2014 PA12 and a 2014 Outback on a nice Caulkins trailer that has been set up to haul two kayaks. The trailer has a nice locking box on the tongue, the PA12 has a fish finder, and both kayaks have the Hobie covers. He's asking $4,750, which seems like it may be a little high, depending on the value of the trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in