Jim's not on fire 11/13 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Jim's not on fire 11/13

Got another late start waiting for it to warm up enough for my wife. We trolled the loop up the first channel to the right from Simpson River pier up to the "X" and down the wider channel back to launch. Caught 4 keeper specks, 2 on Gulp, one on Mirrolure, and one on gold DOA under a poppimg cork in the small channel & that was it. Pretty day and nice paddle despite the wind.

To the guy that passed me in the green Hobie, sorry I didn't speak, takes all of my concentration to be able to see the flourocarbon when tying on a new lure....

P_
prgault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Trigger

I started out there around 6 and didnt have much luck. I caught one keeper trout and a really nice sheepshead off a popping cork. Im on vacation starting tuesday so i will be trying my luck some more.
Daxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
White Marlin

No problem. That was me in the hobie. The wind did pick up up. I was on my way back to the launch. The speck bite was on fire until 9am or so and then it slowed. The red bite was hit and miss. I was able to boat a few slots and a couple rats. Daxman did you find the sheep on the piling?
chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Trigger

Chaps i acutally caught the Sheepshead while i was fishing close to the bank. Im not sure but were you the guy in the gray kayak this morning working the banks. I was in the red kayak watching somone pulling up fish after fish. I was fishing with live shrimp and new penny's but just couldnt find them. When i caught the Sheepshead i couldnt believe it, thought it was a flounder or something. Where i caught it, the water wasnt even that deep..
Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
White Marlin

Yeah Dax that was me pulling up the fish in the hobie. I saw you in the red yak. You should of came over. I wouldn't cared. When I came around the bend I saw trout hitting bait and just timed it right. I was throwing a mirrodine. The action was hit and miss today. I managed a handful of reds up river too
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Trigger

Ok cool, well i wish i could of met you and introduced myself. Im sure i will see you out there again. I overloaded my yak today and the wind was killing me. One minute it was calm, then it would pick right back up. Tuesday i start my vacation so i will be back out there all this week. Can you give me some advice on what i should be using to catch some redfish and trout. Today i tried topwater, new penny, and a spinner bait and didnt have any luck. The only fish i caught was from live shrimp.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

I've had some luck using gold spoons with the reds but only when I could see them didn't have any luck blind casting. The trout seemed to hit anything long as I got the speed right.
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Mingo

Troll until you get some bites then anchor and catch 'em. Watch the depthfinder and figure out where they were holding. Yesterday they were on a deep drop (5 to 15 ft) towards the "x" and in the main channel of the river by the pier. Today the numbers were down for me, but the size was much bigger. They also moved up on the shallow side of the drop in 4 to 5 feet of water.

Good luck
tmber8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
White Marlin

Well I'm definately no expert but I like to slow troll a grub, gulp or jerk shad near the bottom until I find the fish. Once I find fish I'll work a mirrodine, etc... They seem to be in a little deeper water, 6-8'. I like to work unusual areas (bends, cuts, channels, drop offs, etc..) in the river that seem fishy. I always keep my eyes scanning looking for any signs of life that has potential to work, birds, bait fish, etc.. Since I upgraded to a hobie, I noticed I like to cover more water to find fish. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in