A huge thanks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default A huge thanks

Just wanted to say thank you to all the yak guys and girls who were catching sailfish and posting reports. Your reports over the years got me out chasing them the past two years. Didn't have much luck last year but this year was great. Of course I was on a boat but we still managed to land six out of nine bites in six short trips out of Panama City. I hope the sailfish and reports come back thick next year as well. Hope to be able to post a link to the video that I am trying to edit together.
Attached Thumbnails
A huge thanks-400308_4017001544155_1423560279_n-jpg  
Mullit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

One of my buddy on his flats boat.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Congrats!
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Awesome man.

Ive been thinking, do yall think the sailfish are here more often now then before for what ever reason or do yall think its because kayak fishing has gotten so popular we are seeing more caught?

Boaters generally dont run the beach. If in search of billfish they run out pretty far. Other boaters in search of grouper, snapper, AJ, etc also dont run the beaches. Maybe the nearshore sailfish fishery has always been there but there just didnt happen to be anyone fishing the area because, lets face it, within two miles off the beach and twenty miles from the nearest pass, there really isnt that much there to make the trip worth it.

Then again, it seems the sailfish catches from the piers are up as well....

Just something Ive been thinking about...

Oh, and OP, do you mind sharing your techniques? Ive spent a TON of time on the water in my yak this year and one of the only few it seems that hasnt even hooked up into one. Nineteen mahi and three tuna I aint complaining about but I was really hoping for a sail.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

JD, I think there are deffinatly beter numbers of sailfish showing up on the North Gulf beaches over the past three years with this year being the best. Since I have been fishing out of Panama City twenty some odd years there has always been one or two caught by the guys out kingfishing and the same with the piers. But never would I have said it was worth going to actually try just for sailfish. But this year the charter boats were catching them the piers were catching them the paddleboardes the yaks, everyone was catching them. So I think it has a lot more to do with the overall heath of the sailfish population and the abundance of bait that has been present the last few years.JMO. All I do know is I hope it is a trend that continues it was certainly fun to be able to catch sails right out front.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

JD, I think it's just a great example of how things run in cycles. We always have great fishing for Pelagics during El Niņo summers, but this year seemed particularly good. There was an immense amount of bait inshore and off, super clean water almost the whole season and a rather mild summer which never put water temps sky high. If you combine that with FAR more kayak anglers fishing offshore and more knowledge and technique being shared, it's going to lead to more successful fishermen.

As far as the abundance if sails, I have no doubt that with proper conservation measures and the lack of pelagic long liners, that their numbers are far greater.

It wasn't just inshore either. I saw where someone stated that there were more tuna and sailfish reports inshore and from yaks than in the offshore reports section. That's only because of a lack of reporting. The billfish, wahoo and dolphin bite was outstanding this season and myself, along with whatever crew I was with, caught wahoo and billfish almost every trip offshore.

It can be multiple reasons, but regardless, I think this was the best season I've seen yet
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Grouper

I certainly think the increase in Kayak fishing is a huge reason. Yeah okay I get the pier guys and that is right, but not many king fisherman fish within 2 miles of shore like the kayak guys. I can promise the abundance of Kayak caught sails has increased guys searching for them in their boats.

Another HUGE reason IMO more Pelagics were caught with boats this year is the screwed up bottom fishing seasons. Way more guys trolling for wahoo and for much longer periods than years past. Usually guys would spend 1/3 to 1/2 their day bottom fishing then move to troll, now not most guys stop at 1-2 bottom spots maybe and troll the rest of the day.

The numbers are probably up this year, but I just think the amount of time put in near shore trolling is up exponentially.
baldona523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in