How about a Surf Report reading lesson? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 06-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default How about a Surf Report reading lesson?

Tuesday 07/03 12am 0-1ft 0.9ft 3s233.28 4 6mph Clear 80f 50% 3am 0-1ft 0.7ft 3s232.17 0.2ft 4s 3 5mph Cloudy 80f 50% 6am Flat 0.7ft 3s233.1 0.2ft 4s 2 3mph Mostly Cloudy 81f 55% 9am Flat 0.6ft 3s236.27 0.3ft 4s 3 4mph Fair 90f 55% Noon Flat 0.6ft 3s239.01 0.3ft 4s 7
mph Fair 92f 65% 3pm Flat 0.5ft 3s239.65 0.3ft 4s 9
mph Cloudy 90f 65% 6pm Flat 0.5ft 3s240.67 0.2ft 4s 8 11mph Cloudy 85f 70% 9pm Flat 0.5ft 3s243.04 0.2ft 4s 5 11mph Clear 82f 70% Tide and daylight times for East Pass (Destin), Choctawhatchee Bay, Florida

Ok, this is a surf report for the East Pass (Destin) on this upcoming, July 3rd. From what little I know, it looks like it would be a pretty good morning to fish. The 0-1ft. surf, the primary and secondary swells at or below 4s, and the winds at or below 9mph.....What's not to like? Am I understanding this right? I see SW winds mostly, is winds blowing into the shore more favorable than winds blowing out (for kayak fishing of course)? Please advise. Again, if the chart doesn't show up, I'm going off of the Magic Seaweed Report for East Pass Destin on July 3rd, 2018.
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Snapper

I like magic seaweed, the numbers you posted were a little jumbled I repasted the conditions below, here is my $0.02.

Primary Swell 1.3ft at 3s
Secondary Swell 0.6ft at 4s
Wind 7mph from the east

That primary swell size and frequency is fine. I look for under 2 ft but under 3 ft is doable (swim that yak in to the beach though, much easier to avoid tipping, seriously)

That secondary swell is about as good as it gets. You can handle very large swell in a 12ft plus yak, the frequency is the thing to look for. You want the frequency at least 2- 2.5 times the swell height. You can get away with less, its more for comfort and enjoyment thing than it is a hard core go/no go decision.

Wind is 7mph from the east. I look for wind speeds 10mph or under (this is often the factor thats makes a day non-fishable to me) but will go up a little if I really want to fish. High winds just makes everything hard on a yak. The wind direction matters how you approach your day, but not so much a go/no go decision. Plan to be fatiqued when you paddle back, so start by going into the wind (even if just to test and make sure its not too hard to paddle against). A north wind is dangerous b/c it can push you out to sea.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in