Gulf Trip Sat Oct 20th - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Gulf Trip Sat Oct 20th

What an awesome day on the water. Loaded up and pulled out at 6a with BeerItSelf and KVanClassic and headed to Chickenbone with cigar minnows and fresh-caught kingfish mullet. Launched the kayaks about 6:30 and paddled south.

Weather was amazing. Cool temps, warm water and a light NW wind. Ended up about 2 miles out just drifting and enjoying the morning. Had 1 rod in the rod holder free-lining a bait and casting and doing a slow jigging retrieve on the other.

No fish to bring home but this was one of those trips where it didn't matter. Saw several sailfish working bait pods within 20 yards, (Which I have never seen before!) caught several remora and a huge Bluefish on the way in. BeerItSelf and KVanClassic showed their idiotic, crazy side by feeding a tiger shark swimming around their yaks. ;o)

I am so glad to have been introduced to kayak fishing. A day like that with good friends, good weather and ending up the day with the Gators beating S. Carolina made it awesome. A few pics just to show the beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Trip Sat Oct 20th-gulf-1-jpg   Gulf Trip Sat Oct 20th-gulf-3-jpg   Gulf Trip Sat Oct 20th-gulf-4-jpg  
devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Sailfish

I have entertained the idea of buying a yak, some of the fishing models I have looked at were pretty pricey but still cheaper than a boat. What kind of yaks are those and how much? If you dont mind me asking. How about comfort and stability? It doesnt look like it has a real good place for a cooler if you catch a big keeper.
damnifino3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Sailfish

Actually, they are not that expensive. My Ocean Kayak was a Fathers Day gift, so I dont know the $$'s on it. KVanClassic is my nephew, (Just moved here fro Minnesota) and bought his Pelican, sit-on-top for about $250 from Academy Sports. I am 6' 2" and weigh about 220lbs so I like a bigger yak, but Kevin is maybe 6' and 160lbs. His Pelican is very stable, fast and tracks very well for him.

Room is plentiful by learning what to take and how to pack it. The cooler, which is strapped in, is hard to get to, but we always go as a group and if we need to paddle alongside the yak with the cooler to assist in putting a fish in it, it works out just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Sailfish

Oh yea, BeerItSelf's kayak, which is also a very nice sit-on-top, was one of those amazing deals he found where negotiating a price was just a matter of skill. He traded a .380 pistol and $150 cash for it.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Sailfish

Thanks for the advice I keep going back and forth on getting one or trying to find a cheap used Tracker.
damnifino3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in