Friday Evening Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Friday Evening Fishing

I watched the weather earlier this week and saw that fridays weather change would be ideal to go fishing. I am only able to go fishing after 3 pm when getting off work. I am alway exhilarated to get to the launch, change into fish garb, unload and push off to start fishing. I was on one of the bayous I like to fish and went down it about a half a mile trolling 2 rods. I got into a lot of short strikes, telling me the trout are underslot and cannot get their mouths onto the lure completely to hook up. I did paddle around in circles and managed to hook up some fish, but they also did not get a good hook up. From the pull, they were likely at minimal slot size. I did get one hooked up and from the pull felt like about 18", but I momentarily slack lined it and it spit the hook. OH Well. I think I will go up the bayou instead where I know the big ones always are.

I headed up the bayou a mile from the launch point, trolling all the way. watching the day get a little darker as I proceeded. I got all the way to my favorite holes. One by one I passed on by and nothing. Nada, not a bite. I circled a few of the always productive ones, since the tide was moving and going up or going down produced the strikes. One direction being better than the other. All this winter since Christmas, I have caught at least one overslot per trip and some trips up to 4. But this was not looking good, since I had no strikes of any kind. Usually I get some short ones. It is getting late and the rain is starting to fall and I can feel the temps are starting to drop. I was dressed warm and wished I had put on my buff for facial warmth. So I said to myself, I am going to circle a drag around one more time past a couple spots and head on back down the bayou. I got around to one of the holes that I already hit 3 times and this time it was on. An over slot trout always feels like you just got the brakes put on your kayak and it comes around really fast and the rod is bent way over like you just got a dead snag. I have a drag set for overslots and it was zinging. Zing! Zing! 2 to 3 times and its work it to the kayak time. Slowly keeping it tight and bringing it in nicely. Once it is near the kayak, there goes that sudden burst to the bottom when it sees the kayak. Now it circles making bursts of pull, this way and that way. All the time it is losing energy. Finally to the top and a look. A little circling and its over. I pull my knees up and make the usual cradle. I then brought the fish to the side, short lined it, hand grabbed the line and in one motion, make the lift into the cradle. It flopped a few times and the metal lip gripper goes on. I rig the string stringer up and tie it on and over the side the fish went. To be dragged around as my latest trophy for the hunt.

What do I want to do now? I only have one fish and its over slot. Where are all the hundreds of other fish undeslot and in the slot? Maybe they are back down the bayou at the first place? Or maybe the bite is on now at this place? Such is the the thoughts of the mind. Well, it is late, the rain is picking up and I'm starting to get wet, so I better head on down. I trolled all the way to original launch point and not a bite. About this time it has gone from slick to blowing, gusting wind and the water is now one foot and coming over the side on the angle and my butt is getting wet. Not nice. So it is quiting time. Landed and came home with one fish. No it was not a monster, but about 5 pounds and 21 1/2 on a quick measure.

Wheres the photo? I have three cameras. One is an original go pro, when people laughed at my small little camera. The others are not water proof, but will do a flash photo. I am planning on relegating one to night time fishing and some protection and hope for the best for it. Will post a photo this afternoon when I get off work. My one little fish! I am still waiting on breaking my personal record of 26 1/2. I think the 28 is on the horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Friday Evening Fishing-21trout2-2-12-jpg  

Last edited by Bonsaifishrman; 02-11-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: picture
Bonsaifishrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
2019 Hobie outback
White Marlin

nice job thanks for the report!
bbarton13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Grouper

Awesome report��������
ycanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Grouper

cool report .. thanks
pompanopete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Sailfish

I posted the picture and gave out a lot of information. I have been studying winter specks for a few years now and come to know a lot about them. Some fishing techniques: paddle slapping the water at one of your holes, throwing the lure high so that it plunks into the water and gets their attention. Catching the first fish and getting the slime all over your hands and rubbing/wiping down the side of the kayak where it contacts the water. Fish on the stringer towed in water usually catches more fish, since they see and smell so well. Some top water lures work far better at dusk and total dark because trout just like to look up to ambush the top swimmers. Short dragging a troll versus a long drag to get the fishes attention. There is more. However just about all the above does not work, once the fish leave their winter hangouts. The whole strategy has to change. Quite frankly, the places I fish in winter do not have fish in them in the summer worth fishing for.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Sailfish

Great report - lots of info. thanks
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Trigger

Great report and info. A 28" speck would be something!
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Trigger

Allen, man that's FAT trout !!!!
It'll Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Sailfish

All of them have been fat. I havn't caught a skinny fish this year. I believe it is because the bayous are full of bait. I'm surprised they hit the way they do. I think it is instinct and the fact that the water still has winter cold to it and the fact that it is still winter. I also think the herd of trout at the lower end of the bayou only speaks of them getting ready to leave and go back out to the bay and sound. And maybe the only reason that I am catching big ones way up the bayous is because they are in spawning mode. One thing for sure. This year the trout are especially healthy looking. My personal record 26 1/2 looked a sickly grey color to me and had a limp kind of body.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Nice report! Thanks for the info also. You've definitely got some history/knowledge of fishing for trout in this area. Can't wait to get back down your way for a sandwich and fish talk with you. My wife is hooked! I've noticed also that in the area I fish, the smaller ones are near the mouth and the larger are upstream. Hope there are a few more weekds of trout fishing before they head south to the sound.
SammyYak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in