First Kayak spearfishing trip - Costas take one for the team!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default First Kayak spearfishing trip - Costas take one for the team!!

Figured I better earn the price I paid for the scuba gear and Sunday looked like a great day to head out to see what I ran over off Okaloosa beach.

Spent a long time at the beach pre-launch configuring the outback as I have not rigged it for spearfishing before and so finally took off a little bow heavy but sea worthy.

Long story short anchored up - got geared up and down - luckily there are still stoo-pid Red Groupers out there as this guy let me load and then figure out where the safety was on the new riffe. Zapped him and strung him then worked for 10mins trying to figure out how to restring - gave up and with no gloves (thought I had two pair) didn't look for bugs.

With the successful trial run on getting out/down under with the yak and +1 grouper I headed back up.

At the beach a couple equipment problems got me hot and bothered and acting fast without thinking. Reached down to unhook the high tension bungee cord and it slipped - -

Smacked HARD right over my pupil and I shudder to think what that hook would have done if I wasn't wearing them...

...the rest of the story is here...

...the lamination kept the impact from sending the shards into my eye. Didn't come through the second layer. I wear impact safety glasses all the time working and down range now I know Costa's are in a class that will protect you eye as well.

Stop Think Act folks - if not for the glasses then I would have a far different report.

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
The Yakslayer
Snapper

Close one with the bungee. I've been researching how to start yak spearfishing myself lately. Not a lot of people on this forum seem to do it. I barely got any response in the spearfishing section.

I bought a dive flag for my visipole and I've been reading about spearguns. The 48in C2X seems to be the right choice unless I can find a slightly cheaper one to start with.

I spent $300 at the end of last year to get all my scuba gear serviced, inspected, and tanks filled, but haven't been out there yet for lack of someone to go with. Give me a shout if you ever need a another on a trip. My hope is to start doing it freediving, but I figure I need some experience behind the gun on scuba first.

By the way I think we found that FAD you and Dean found last month. I picked up an undersized cobia on it.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Sailfish

-- ya I'm going to get four of my tanks O2 serviced for Nitrox as 90% of the dives <=70'

getting the tanks out is the hardest part and def need a buddy boat with a big cooler as there is NO room once a tank and bc are on-board. Looking up the GoPro now going to pull the trigger on that by the end of the week.

Forgot how much fun getting down is. with the advent of GoPro I can share some of that with the family and log what/where I fish.

Also - for most the fish in close a 36" biller is plenty of gun and ALOT cheaper put two or three 5/8" it's a fish killer - the riffe's are a great 15-20' shot maker but not when vis is 10-15' like yesterday and most days within 2 miles of shore.

I've got 2 36" billers - they will be going out with me next time.

I'll give ya holler - plan to bounce a couple spots (steel 95) will give me 2 dives < 70 next Sun morning pending weather. Oh and I'll be bringing gloves for bugging.

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
Grouper

Bob your still my hero maybe next time there won't be any setbacks keep us posted!

Chase
Redalert08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in