First Gulf trip in too long. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default First Gulf trip in too long.

Its been over a MONTH since I last yakked the Gulf. I was starting to get the shakes so I knew I needed my fix.

YaknTat was nice enough to brave the cold and north wind to fish with me.

Target was primarily flounder.

On the troll out we had hoped for a bobo or two for better bait then the frozen cigs we had but surprisingly not a run on the way out.

First spot it started out pretty slow. YnT caught the first fish of the day, what I call a guitar fish, like a ray/shark hybrid. Pretty cool and a first for me. Of course we thought it was a big flounder by the way it was fighting.

Meanwhile Im having a hard time stopping the big snapper on my flounder gear. I got broke off a few times and managed to land a few smaller snapper.

YnT lands a flounder, whoo hoo they are here. The crazy thing was, his bottom machine was out yet some how he could stay on the spot better then me. I still think he had a hand held he didnt tell me about.

Well it slows down again so we move on with nothing but some smaller snapper and more break offs.

Second spot is loaded with snapper and sharks. Tired of getting broke off with the flounder gear I dropped down some heavy tackle and land a nice snapper about twenty pounds.

YnT is fighting shark after shark and I tangle with one as well and he grabs a trigger here too.

We move on to another spot. We have about twenty minutes before sunset and the bite turns on. I end up with two more twentyish pound snapper....on twenty pound test this time. Also got a small grouper and trigger. YnT is still catching sharks.

FINALLY YnT strikes again with another flounder. Meanwhile, I am excited thinking the evening bite is about to turn on when the curse strikes again. One of my masts snaps in half about a half inch from the sprocket. Oh well Im still going to fish and worry about limping home in the dark later.

A few minutes later YnT grabs another. I finally get one and he gets another. Four flounder in about ten minutes.

Of course by now its getting dark fast, we are two miles out, the wind is picking up and I have to limp in. We made it in tired and at O dark thirty. Man, just a month of not fishing really gets you out of shape.

We got some fish in the cooler, had some good pulls on the line and came home no worse for the wear, other then my drive of course. Still, good day, good day.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Trigger

Thanks for the invite JD. All in all it was a good afternoon besides your mirage drive failure. This is a pic of the biggest flounder of the afternoon. I'm still trying to figure out why I'm getting all the sharks. I need to buy a pack of about 100 hooks.
Attached Thumbnails
First Gulf trip in too long.-010-jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Definitely a chilly morning. Nice batch of flounder from the sounds of it.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Snapper

So were you using the frozen cigs as flounder bait too, or did you have something live for them?
Fisherdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Chopped frozen cigs. YnT was using a seven ought hook and so did I after loosing all my smaller hooks. Next time I will be better armed, they are thick out there right now.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Good report. About the drive breaking. Is there corrosion around the brake point? Just wondering if there's anything I should look out for, for maintenance purposes.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

No, the masts are only about four months old. I never fish inshore and I always pull my fins out before I hit the beach. Just another example of crappy hobie quality.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
No, the masts are only about four months old. I never fish inshore and I always pull my fins out before I hit the beach. Just another example of crappy hobie quality.
By masts, you're talking about the metal rod in the fin itself, correct? They just break while paddling? I've had some pretty violent collisions with my fins in freshwater. Never broke one. Twice, I've had to remove the fin from the mast because a stump ripped the mast right through the fin. The fin was bent with the mast sticking straight out a hole in the side of the fin. Pretty easy fix on the water...the second time anyways lol. The first time was in the middle of lake Talquin, with no tools lol. That was a bitch!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Yes I am talking about the metal rod. I was in sixty feet of water when it happened so unless I hit a sea turtle, it was a material defect plain and simple. Again, I never fish inshore, my fins look brand new because they never hot anything yet the rod snapped.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Dang. That makes me want to buy some spares to keep in the boat. How much do they cost? I keep all the tools I would need in there, but no spare parts. Lol, I even keep waterproof tape in the boat to repair a shark bite on the fins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in