Excellent snapper opener with wild Bonus - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree11Likes

Old 05-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Excellent snapper opener with wild Bonus

Got down to destin public access just before 5 am hoping to beat the boats out to a snapper hole. Seas were absolutely amazing! Flat as a board and light breeze made for a cake launch. Bait was plentiful so I loaded up on cigs in between the sandbars before I made the long journey out. Got to the reef right after sunrise...no hits on the troll out there
My first line in had a fat lively cig on it and straight to the bottom it went. I felt some nibbling but no good bite so I decided to reel in and check bait. I felt something on the other end but no clue what it could have been. Turns out it was a tiny rumora that wasn't even hooked, he was just hanging on to the belly of my cigar minnow and as I pulled my line up he fell off and ripped the belly of that cig open. So I said hell with it and dropped my now half eaten dead cig back to the bottom. As soon as I hit bottom and got about 2 cranks up my pole doubled over HARD...I started reeling and this fish wasn't having it, he did not wanna come up. I'm thinking holy crap second drop of snapper season and I've got a big sow already! Once the fish finally wore out from making bottom runs and taking me for a few short rides i covered some ground on it and could now see it coming up...Shark! A 3 foot shark, what a let down! I figured I would get it beside the yak snap a picture and cut the line...but once it surfaced a little more to my surprise was a 33.5 inch cobia! Caught straight on the bottom with a half eaten dead cig no less.
After the happy surprise the snapper started biting...a lot. Ended up catching 6 total snapper, threw back 3 small ones and a 19 inch legal one hoping for a sow. (The guy and his wife in the robalo fishing the same wreck brought up a big fat one that had to be well over 30 inches). I ended up with my limit of 2 with a 20 incher and another 19 incher, which made for some good fillets.
So overall it was an amazing opening day, and my first cobia from the yak (even if it was a lucky catch) made it even better. Hope there are a few more days like this one in store before the fish get mauled!
The cobia was too big to fit straight in my cooler on the yak so had to wrap his tail around the cooler so that's why he is crooked as a deck nail!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Bodupp, timjb83, Jgatorman and 2 others like this.
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Grouper

You didn't measure that cobia did ya??
floorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Sailfish

Lookin short
stevenattsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
Snapper

Nope I just post threads and pictures of illegal fish hoping to fool guys like yall and get the fwc on everybody's ass...yes fish measured at 33.5 soon as I got him on the yak. In this picture he is frozen sideways from being wrapped around in the cooler

Salt4Lifer and marksnet like this.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
Sailfish

Great box of fish.
Stressless likes this.
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
Sailfish

^ didnt need to do that. In fact if the snaps are 20in, I would say that cobe was legal
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Snapper

My dad passed conservation on to me and I follow the rules, not gonna let this thread turn into a defense over my fish...fish and polar, thanks I was pretty happy about the days catch. Like I said, the couple in the boat beside of me caught a nice fat sow snapper so there was definitely some really nice ones in there today. They were hitting damn near anything u dropped at em too, live, dead, cut bait, squid...didn't matter they were hungry. I even caught one with my reel set to free spool while I was messing with my fly line...when I grabbed the bottom rod and tightened the slack I had a juvenile snapper on there

Old 05-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
White Marlin

Way to go! U haven't fished that area in a long time. Lots of pyramids and public stuff out there to catch fish
chaps is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps View Post
Way to go! U haven't fished that area in a long time. Lots of pyramids and public stuff out there to catch fish
Yeah it gets crowded out there but if you get up early you can get a decent spot. I wasn't on the pyramids today, was out a little deeper than those. I've caught some nice kings and Bonita on those pyramids but never any red snapper. I'm sure others have smoked em though

Old 05-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for all the info, that was a great report! Awesome catches too
Gamecocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in