Destin snapper success again 05/15 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shark Sugar
  • 1 Post By Shark Sugar

Old 05-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Destin snapper success again 05/15

Hit the water with my buddy just after first light. North wind had the surf flat but man it was howling and drifting us out quick. Wasn't able to find the normal bait in between the sandbars so had to stop off and sabiki up at a nearshore reef. Loaded up on cigs and Ruby lips and started the journey to the snapper hole. It was rougher'n hell with all the chop. My buddy caught the first keeper of the day and I followed up with the big one of the day. I noticed my double Davy knot was starting to slip under the hook eye but I just positioned it back on tip of the hook and pulled it back tight...boy did that come back to bite me in the ass. Next drop Had a sow and a half knock the hell out of my bait and hooked up...drag was set at about 20 lbs and this hoss was taking lone with every run for the bottom he made. I started wearing him out and had about 30 more feet to the surface when line went slack...yep he pulled the hook where that damn knot was starting to slip under the eye.
After that the bite slowed to a halt but the wind stopped and shifted to a light eastern breeze and the water was clear and calm as I've ever seen it. All the cigs and Ruby lips were dead by now so figured I'd rig up the top secret butterfly grouper bait that a charter boat mate had shown me before. Soon as it hit the bottom got the bite...that was my 2. My buddy rigged up the same and pulled up his 2nd.
Trolled back in and found about a mile or more long current in about 20 ft of water with bait absolutely exploding on the top everywhere...Trolled up and down it the full length twice and only ended up catching a mess of hardtails. Thought for sure some predators would be feasting on that buffet but no luck.
All in all another great day of fishin!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
boomyak likes this.

Last edited by Shark Sugar; 05-15-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Pictures
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
Snapper

Actually caught 2 of those little tiny reds while sabikiing up bait...smallest ones I've ever seen

Last edited by Shark Sugar; 05-15-2016 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Sailfish

Those snapper will be good eating. Thanks for sharing your report and the photos.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Trigger

Nice to hear somebody in a kayak got some. Spent about 8 hours between Sat and Sunday off Destin, no bait anywhere. Caught a half dozen remoras and one spanish. Was only able to go out during the windy parts of both days and couldn't stay on structure paddlling and fish all at once.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomyak View Post
Nice to hear somebody in a kayak got some. Spent about 8 hours between Sat and Sunday off Destin, no bait anywhere. Caught a half dozen remoras and one spanish. Was only able to go out during the windy parts of both days and couldn't stay on structure paddlling and fish all at once.
Yeah there is normally a mess of bait in between the sandbars but they weren't in there this time...had to hit a very nearshore reef to get some

Fishnadikt likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in