Destin Public Reefs and last weekend - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 10-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Destin Public Reefs and last weekend

Went out around sunrise, had no problem sabiki'ing up cigs real quick then trolled them on a duster on my way out to try some numbers at Sand Flea reef. On my way out I heard a huge commotion to my side and looked and saw a major boil and some good size Blackfin flying through the air destroying some bait for about thirty seconds. It was a heck of a show, and I've never seen anything like it. Tried heading towards them but they were gone for good once they got their snack. Landed a 31" king on my way out to the reef. At the numbers I readily and easily found the structure and was marking lots of fish and some very big ones further up in the water column (cruising 30-40). Pulled up what I'm guessing to be some kind of small grouper around 14". I've never caught one and looking at the FWC site he wasn't an exact match to any, so I figured it's an undersized gag and tossed him back. I haven't done much bottom fishing in the gulf, so I'm always surprised and trying to figure out what the heck I caught.

At this point I was the only person out there within a mile and then some boat shows up, and idles within 20yds of me and drifts with me and we end up leap frogging back and forth over the numbers I was originally on. I was starting to get pretty pissed off, then I saw they were chumming and figured screw it I might as well keep staying here. Got broken off a couple times by sharks (was using wire leaders and the last four-five feet of my mono section was roughly abraded from tail whips.) Also had a hardhead and a lot of missed strikes from smaller fish pecking my bait away. Thought I had something HUGE take a live cig. Turns out I'm an idiot and I'm pretty sure it swam it right into one of the pyramid reefs, and I ended up having to cut the line. After losing a few rigs and burning through my bait I trolled back to shore with no strikes on the way in. As I was heading back in I did see a few other kayakers cruising the reef, maybe we'll see some reports from them.

I'm hoping for time to check some more offshore species off the list before the water temp drops. AJs, mahi, BFT, and *maybe* if I win the fish lotto, a sail. I'm starting to think those will have to wait til next year.

Here's the grouper (I think):

Also went out last weekend and had a little luck inshore and offshore. Never did a report, but had a 30" king after trolling a couple hours. Didn't try any bottom spots that day. Then pulled a 22 and 25" red the next day inshore off Eglin flats.

Last weekend's catch.

boomyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

That is a scamp and needs to be 16". Good job on the slaying.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
That is a scamp and needs to be 16". Good job on the slaying.
Thanks for the info. Going back to the FWC site I can see a lot stronger resemblance for that than anything else. Hopefully I'll get some more experience id'ing the various groupers out on the water.
boomyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Gags are grayish with a squared off tail. He had what you call a broom tail, points on each end.
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

http://myfwc.com./wildlifehabitats/profiles/saltwater/

Old 10-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Grand Slam

This pic might have to be blown up a bit but here's a close one to the Scamp. Yellowmouth Grouper.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Looks more like a yellow mouth grouper to me...

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
g40
Ruby Red Lip

Way to go...you're certainly putting in the time. I think I saw you last Sunday launch in front of me...you headed SE. I stayed S-SW. There was another kayaker nearby kind enough to let me follow him to some bottom structure and mark it with my, dont laugh, garmin forerunner. I Did catch and release some nice snapper. Cheers!
g40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
Grouper

I say scamp. You can see the making of the long filaments on the tail.
WAReilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Body is way too deep IMO. Not to mention in my time on the water Ive only caught one small scamp but several little yellow mouth.

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in