Destin Bridge 11 March - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Destin Bridge 11 March

Got a late start this morning with Daylight Savings Time. I wanted to be out of the house by 0530 to go catch bait but didn't leave until 0615 because I was trying to get trailer lights installed on the back of my kayak instead of just using a red flag. I don't know what I was doing wrong but I finally gave up. Grabbed some fresh bait in no time by catching some pins, blue runners and what I think were spanish sardines or threadfins. Can't really tell. Headed out to the Destin Bridge and it was 0800 by the time that I got in the water. I only planned on being there for an hour depending on how the bite was. Well first drop down I hooked up on a 30" red. Second drop down another big red but as I was trying to get him in the net he released himself off the hook. Oh well the morning was shaping up to be really good, or so I thought. After that, it was pretty dead. Flipper showed up about that time and hung around for a long time. Then it seemed that all I could catch was blue fish. The one bit down on my net for a good 3-4 minutes while I tried to pry his mouth off of it. I finally decided to leave at around 1115. Didn't seem like the bite was on fire but the boats around me were catching reds and sheeps. Only brought bait for reds as my KW teammate was supposed to bring some fiddlers . No worries though, The weather out there was extremely warm and only a little windy. I wonder how it was offshore.

Last edited by MillerTime; 07-14-2012 at 10:15 PM.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Sailfish

I was in the orange kayak I would've let you have some fiddlers. Too many boats out there for my liking. Nice kayak and set up you have
tips n tails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips n tails View Post
I was in the orange kayak I would've let you have some fiddlers. Too many boats out there for my liking. Nice kayak and set up you have
Thank you. It was fine, I had plenty of bait that I had caught and wanted to try and use it. Just making a jab at my teammates. How did you end up doing out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Nice report Brandon.
That's a pretty cool looking measuring board you've got there!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
White Marlin

Nice. Sounds like destin is as busy as 3 mb. How do you catch your live bait, sabiki, cast net?
chaps is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluestreak View Post
Nice report Brandon.
That's a pretty cool looking measuring board you've got there!
B.Fine was the one who basically built it for me. I added the bungees that I got at Half Hitch for $2 for a bag. They put more stress on the board so I had to add more screws but it was a pain to have the big reds slipping out of the board while I was trying to take a picture.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps View Post
Nice. Sounds like destin is as busy as 3 mb. How do you catch your live bait, sabiki, cast net?
Yeah it can be really busy out there. Don't think I will be out there much this summer with all the boat traffic and tourists who are drunk and have no clue what they are doing. It usually depends on which rod I feel like using that day. I use both a small double drop rig or a sabiki, both tipped with squid. Still haven't decided about getting a cast net. Seems like too many choices. Not sure where to start.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Trigger

I blame your teammate Blackjeep for not bringing fiddlers today. He is very convincing and forced me to stay up and drink with him at the grassy point campout. I promise you fiddlers next time. Way to catch a couple of fish.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakntat
I blame your teammate Blackjeep for not bringing fiddlers today. He is very convincing and forced me to stay up and drink with him at the grassy point campout. I promise you fiddlers next time. Way to catch a couple of fish.
No big deal. I wasn't even going to go yesterday with the weather forecast but I haven't been out in a while and needed to try and get some points. It was like the I was being punished for not landing that second red after having hookups on the first two drops within a couple minutes. The one bluefish was small enough that it never felt like he really hit the pinfish. It just kept feeling like something was making the pinfish scared every so often and I finally got tired of that and reeled him up to check him out.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Thank you. It was fine, I had plenty of bait that I had caught and wanted to try and use it. Just making a jab at my teammates. How did you end up doing out there?
Didnt catch nothing on that trip. Saturday evening though I caught three sheepies over where you were fishing. Wish I had my cell phone on me, saw a boat that caught a few sheepies that APPEARED to be right at 12 in. plus or minus. Looked more on the minus side to me. Overall a good day.
tips n tails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in