Destin 03/28 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Destin 03/28

Hit the same spots clemsontiger and I did a two days ago. The Gulf wasnt as flat and I was kind of nervous as it was my first time out alone.

Long story short it was dead out there and I hit several spots managed just one red snapper and a few short triggers and of course more ruby red lips than you can shke a stick at. The triggers where my target but often times I would drop down, drift and pull up empty hooks. Didnt even feel the bite so I figure they were hitting on the way down.

No cobia seen nor hits while trolling a cigcicle.

I called it an early day because when the fish aint biting it gets pretty lonely bobbin around out there all by yourself haha. Im going to need a new fishing buddy now that clemsontiger is moving.

I did see some fliers less than a half mile from the beach as well as something BIG that was moving faster than any fish Ive ever seen. It was no dolphin either as I watched it crashing at the surface for around a hundred yards. I kept telling my self it was just a big manta ray as I have been seeing them jump lately but Ive never see one move like that before.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

I'll be in the Destin area this summer some time with the yak itching to get out.

A day out on the water is a better than a day in the office.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
Hit the same spots clemsontiger and I did a two days ago. The Gulf wasnt as flat and I was kind of nervous as it was my first time out alone.

Long story short it was dead out there and I hit several spots managed just one red snapper and a few short triggers and of course more ruby red lips than you can shke a stick at. The triggers where my target but often times I would drop down, drift and pull up empty hooks. Didnt even feel the bite so I figure they were hitting on the way down.

No cobia seen nor hits while trolling a cigcicle.

I called it an early day because when the fish aint biting it gets pretty lonely bobbin around out there all by yourself haha. Im going to need a new fishing buddy now that clemsontiger is moving.

I did see some fliers less than a half mile from the beach as well as something BIG that was moving faster than any fish Ive ever seen. It was no dolphin either as I watched it crashing at the surface for around a hundred yards. I kept telling my self it was just a big manta ray as I have been seeing them jump lately but Ive never see one move like that before.

It was probably just a hooter. You wouldn't have wanted to hook into that anyway, I here they are no fun to catch.
Trophyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
I'll be in the Destin area this summer some time with the yak itching to get out.

A day out on the water is a better than a day in the office.
Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyhusband View Post
It was probably just a hooter. You wouldn't have wanted to hook into that anyway, I here they are no fun to catch.
No this thing was big, at least a couple hundred pounds and grey. I told my self it was a big manta ray with a firecracker up its ass but in the back of my head I was thinking mako. It was moving left and right as if it was chasing something and I did catch a glimpse of a fin, just one fin. Ray, yes a ray. And let me tell you after seeing that, every wave that crashed after that startled me a bit.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Sailfish

I always get a little nervous when I'm out by myself to. We also saw a couple fliers right off the beach in Pensacola today while cobia fishing
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Mingo

Well, I feel a little better now. I trolled 10 miles out there yesterday and not one bite. First skunk for me in the yak. We'll get em next time!
Catchinem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Grouper

If you go on the weekend and need a partner to head out shoot me PM, just need a few days notice. I haven't been off shore in the yak yet but want to try. I'm in a Tarpon 160 so I have to paddle looking to go to the darkside though.

Tod

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

I only have a Tarpon 120 but its hard for me to out on the weekend.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Grouper

I can go after work but I normally leave between 3:30 and 4, and I work on Eglin.

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in