Bulls in the Trough - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By CrabbyChas

Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Bulls in the Trough

Finally got out on the water yesterday for the first time since November. It was still pretty chilly when I hit the gulf around 9am and started trolling out, once I got out into 40ft of water it started getting cold and the spray was soaking me so I turned back towards shore, and the pedal back was 3x worse going into the wind and chop. Once I got to the edge of the 2nd sandbar I saw birds start diving and going crazy in the trough, so I got as close as I could and threw my favorite bucktail towards one of the darker shadows I could see around 100ft away. Bam, hookup, start getting dragged towards shore. At this point I had no idea what I had hooked but it was pulling nearly max drag on my reel. After 10-15 minutes I get it close to the boat and it looked like a 3-4 ft shark.

but once it was at the boat I realized it was a big bull red.

Took a while to get the hook out, once I did I cast again and hooked another. They were feeding on schools of small glass minnows that were all over the place. The 2nd one nearly swallowed my bucktail and by the time I got him dehooked and back in the water it had calmed down again. Spent another few hours trolling back and forth, saw lots of bait balls on my new fish finder but it was all just glass minnows. I went out to deeper water trolling a couple more times but didn't get so much as a nibble. Around 3 I decided I had enought and started going in when I saw bird flocking around 1/2 mile down the beach so I started heading down. Same situation as before, bull reds feeding on glass minnows.

Caught 2 more before they left and I went in for the day.
DLo, Wugitus, olegator and 1 others like this.

Last edited by CrabbyChas; 03-04-2018 at 12:16 PM.
CrabbyChas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Chas - I'm interested in the jighead style. I tie bucktails - in manic spurts that cover a couple years's worth of whatever current fishing style I'm enamored with at the moment - and then my tying box sits unused for a couple years.
That looks like what I'd call a "current cutter" - flat sides,2D teardrop shape...or is it more "full teardrop" with rounded sides?

1 oz?

Does anyone 'round there use what Mississippi river walleye fishermen call a Dubuque rig? Heavy jig (often bucktail) on the bottom with an 18" to 30" mono or flouro leader to a 3 way swivel. From that is a roughly 3' leader to a weightless streamer.
WiscoArborist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I've had this jig for probably 2 years so I can't be sure but I think it is a 1.5 oz Spro bucktail that you can buy anywhere. It has fairly flattish sides and the weight is offset towards the bottom so it runs nice and straight. I tied a small blue/silver squid skirt around it to give it some more color since it's just a basic white bucktail and the blue/silver skirt gives it coloration that looks like a flying fish or cigar minnow. I use this for sight casting mostly but I can count on one hand the number of times that it hasn't been hit when I have a target for it. I'll try and get some good closeups of it tomorrow.
CrabbyChas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks.

I think that the spro jigs are vry similar to "current cutters".

I'm always interested in people's favorite hair jigs and the "why" behind them. There's no reason I can't tie a few like it next time I pour paint and tie.

I do more purples,pink,chartreuse,orange...
WiscoArborist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in