bull - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default bull

Went to 3MB for the first time tonight. It was almost really good.
I was using a 4-8lb rated rod to try and catch a white trout for bait but that proved to be a lot harder than I had imagined. Almost every time I threw a shrimp out a red would take it. 10lb line is tough on such Light tackle. Red after red would run me into a piling and cut me off or just wear the line through.
Did get one nice red into the yak though. The next time I will be much better prepared!
I did get a picture of it before releasing it. Now to try and figure out how to down load my phone and then upload a picture.
xxxxxxxxxbowwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Tangle Master
White Marlin

You might want to try anchoring. When I went out to 3mb saturday night with Rufus, I had to grab his yak and pull him away from the pilings when he had a fish on. Cant wait to see pics.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Grouper

definitely anchor if you have 10lb line, thats plenty to be able to manage the redfish, i do it all the time but with a slightly heavier pole but im still not all the way maxed with the drag, just anchor on the edge of the light pool and drop a pinfish or trout, hell i had that slot hit a half piece of rotten shrimp. dont worry about light tackle, i did it on 4 and 10 both, 10lb makes it perfectly fun if you ask me, 20 is overkill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus1138
definitely anchor if you have 10lb line, thats plenty to be able to manage the redfish, i do it all the time but with a slightly heavier pole but im still not all the way maxed with the drag, just anchor on the edge of the light pool and drop a pinfish or trout, hell i had that slot hit a half piece of rotten shrimp. dont worry about light tackle, i did it on 4 and 10 both, 10lb makes it perfectly fun if you ask me, 20 is overkill
Nah, 20 isn't overkill...4 is overkill. I know it's more fun, but it stresses the hell out the fish (and most are over slot out there). I think you got lucky you had a peddle yak there to help out. Anchored out, I doubt you could handle a 30+ incher around the bridge, on 4#. I'm not dogging ya, just saying. There's a place for UL tackle and nightfishin 3mi ain't it lol. I use 15# gear when targeting those particular bulls. Don't get me wrong, 10# will handle em just fine (usually, and not while anchored close to the bridge), I've caught plenty out there on 10#, but if they are my main goal, I'm using something with some ass.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
2019 Hobie outback
White Marlin

I agree dont use too much light tackle out there it while make the fish more tired and stressed. Plus you more likely to cut off or broke off then you have the red swimming around with a bunch of line hanging out its mouth. I use 15# for jigs and lures and 30# for dropping big live baits.
bbarton13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Default bull

Well the light tackle was for the white trout. The reds did not know this, all they saw was a free meal. The rod I had planned on using for the red's ended up with a major backlash right off the bat. It was great never the less.
xxxxxxxxxbowwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakavelli View Post
Nah, 20 isn't overkill...4 is overkill. I know it's more fun, but it stresses the hell out the fish (and most are over slot out there). I think you got lucky you had a peddle yak there to help out. Anchored out, I doubt you could handle a 30+ incher around the bridge, on 4#. I'm not dogging ya, just saying. There's a place for UL tackle and nightfishin 3mi ain't it lol. I use 15# gear when targeting those particular bulls. Don't get me wrong, 10# will handle em just fine (usually, and not while anchored close to the bridge), I've caught plenty out there on 10#, but if they are my main goal, I'm using something with some ass.
totally agreed i was just making the point that its possible, and in a yak i think 10 lb is about right, jason has been getting hooked and having all kinds of issues because he had a huge pole and massive line and was bringing them to the boat way too green, michaela and i with the 10 lb poles released every bull in good healthy condition, just like op i wasnt trying to get the red on 4lb lol damn was it fun tho.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Tangle Master
White Marlin

Yeah.... I had a small light hook on my Penn International Torque on a Shimano Trevala rod spooled with 80lb PowerPro. The small light hook seemed to do the trick. I need to pick more up. I probably should have rigged one of my smaller rods with a light hook. Just did not think about it. If its rigged FISH IT!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

I kinda got off point actually. I meant to say anchoring close to the bridge actually makes it more difficult to bring a big red in on light tackle. They are gonna take some line and there's nothing you can do about it. Drifting, at least you can try to chase (or be pulled) them around the structure. Anchored, you're at the mercy of the fish.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Grouper

definitely right tim, from what i experienced at anchor saturday the outer edge of the light pool from the bridge is about the right spot to be anchored if you're gonna use 10lb, i havent worked the drag up as far as i can either, never have broken the mainline on our 10lb rigs when we have 30lb leaders on, thats the next experiment is seeing how much pressure i can put on the fish with a 10lb pole, hoping for a 40+incher in the kayak soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in