Big Lagoon / GOM - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By panhandleslim

Old 03-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Big Lagoon / GOM

Launched from Sherman cove about 7am was about to go out into the golf until I ran into an ungodly amount of boats looking for sheep's right at the mouth, so turned around and drifted the flats but I think the water is still too cold cause there wasn't anything but stingrays.
BobbySprankle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
White Marlin

I'm sure you know what you are doing but I recommend you use extreme caution fishing from a kayak in the Pass. There have been numerous disasters and near misses in that area.
speckhunter944 likes this.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Mingo

Oh yea, the only thing I'll do is hug the coastline if I come out of big lagoon, but there were too many boats for me to want to do even that. Good looking out though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySprankle View Post
Oh yea, the only thing I'll do is hug the coastline if I come out of big lagoon, but there were too many boats for me to want to do even that. Good looking out though!
Were you with the group of three guys that tried the northern jetty by Fort McRae? I saw a few of you and seriously thought I was going to witness a wreck with all of the boats trying to jam in there right next to you. I launched out of Sherman as well around 0700, and I couldn't believe how many boats were already stacked up. I run a 19' cc bay boat and I was nervous out there! Some of those guys are cool as hell, but others would ram your boat just to get a "prime spot" for some fish. Almost lost my motor when some dude rushed in to take the spot I was vacating. He missed by inches, only after I gunned it to avoid a collision (I didn't even have my anchor up yet!) Guy didn't even bat an eye; totally acceptable, apparently. I'm always looking for dudes to go out with when my buddies have other commitments, so if you want to try and slay some sheepies/reds/kings without the fear of some dude running your ass down with his boat, let me know.

-Jake

Last edited by Whiskey16; 03-22-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Whiskey16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I was out there in my big tuna last Monday by the first jetty all by myself, all the boats were in the pass and by the outer jetty and all of a sudden 4 bouts came over and crowded around me and one guy almost ran into me. I thought he was going to dump me. So i got the hell out of there! Went around to the flats and got out and went on the beach to shore fish and i was getting set up and saw a dolphin fish cruising the beach. I casted to him and bang. 27 in mahi for dinner. I guess i won. Those guys are crazy out there. Good luck
Mtwaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Mingo

No that wasn't me, as soon as I came out on the south side of the island, I saw the boats and said no thank you. Thanks for the invite, I might take you up on that sometime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in