Arapaima and Peacock Bass in Brazil - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Arapaima and Peacock Bass in Brazil

I recently returned from a month-long backpacking trip around Brazil. I wasnít planning to do any fishing, but just like a pair of board shorts, I never leave home without a fly rod. I didnít know the best place to post this video, but since Iím a kayak fisherman at heart, and I was mostly fishing out of a leaky dugout canoe, this seemed to be the best fit. My first attempt at fishing in a place called Bonito never happen because, as I was scheduling a charter, I found out the fishing season throughout Brazil, with the exception of the Amazon, was closing at midnight. Catch and release is not in the brazilian lexicon as everyone eats what they catch, so they just close it for the entire breeding season or about 4 months. I did snorkel down the Rio Plata where I saw large numbers of huge golden dorado and pacu. I included a video below called Bonito. At the end of this video, I have some footage of swimming with pink river dolphins.

My next fishing opportunity came during a week-long hike in the Amazon. I scheduled a 3 day fishing trip, which turned out to be about a day and a half because of the long traveling required to get to the spot. Once we arrived at the spot, we set out to target large peacock bass. The world record 29 pound peacock bass was caught near where we were going. I didnít feel like casting a fly rod for 3 days, so I picked up a cheap rod and reel combo in Manaus. The first day was raining the entire time, and I didnít get one bite. The next day we went to another spot where my guide said I had a shot at catching an arapaima. The arapaima is the largest scaled freshwater fish in the world and can reach lengths of over 10 feet and 450 lbs. These are notoriously difficult fish to catch. The most effective artificial is a shallow diving plug retrieved as slow as possible. The bite is barely noticeable. I hooked up with approximately 5 (I believe) arapaima and only got 1 to the canoe. I also hooked up with several monkey fish (silver arowana), which leap out of the water to catch insects in the trees. Itís very common to have one jump in your boat. Once I boated and released my 1 arapaima, we moved so I could try to get one peacock bass. The best way to catch peacock bass is to throw a propeller top water lure almost on the shore, and rip it back to the boat as fast as possible. Unfortunately, I didnít have anything besides my 8wt fly rod. With about 20 minutes left of my fishing trip, I finally hooked up with a small peacock on a clouser. There is a very shaky clip of the peacock, but as the guide was about to get a picture, the fish flopped out of my hand and into the water for a quick release.

I have included video of my fishing trip in the Amazon as well as piranha fishing in the Pantanal. Piranha fishing is easy if you learn how to set the hook the right way. That is why I adopted the weird style you see in the video.

I have a lot to learn from everyone else on the forum on how to edit a movie, but I gave it a shot. I apologize for the editing and the humidity of the rainforest was fogging all my camera equipment up. I had to make my gopro battery last for 8 hours, so I could have benefited from a remote control. I hope you enjoy.

Amazon video:

Bonito video:
BigWaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Trigger

Very cool and interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in