Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By BigRed38
  • 1 Post By Ragon210
  • 1 Post By Jason

Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default 4/14/15- Offshore

Well, saw that there was a break in the weather this morning and decided to make the best of it. Rolled out of bed around 6 AM so I could check the beach cam and see if going was even worth it. Check the Cam, SwellInfo and NOAA and everything seemed to line up for a decent but bumpy trip. Leave the house a little after 7 Am and am on the beach by 7:45. Get to parking lot 2 on Pickens (parking lot 1 was a swimming pool) and head down to the water. There is 4 or 5 people fishing for pompano when I get there and they are are in the calmer surf breaks. Find a decent spot to launch that is in a 20 yard gap between to pompano set ups. Neither one looked thrilled, but it was the "cleanest" break I could find.

Get the boat in the water and thought I timed out a set, wrong... Jump in and here comes a wave that I didn't see forming. Bail out and re position to launch after the next break. Set ends, drop my mirage drive in and jump in. Power through the first 2 wash outs and then a nice wave kicks up. Power over it and slam the bow in the water on the back side. The last wave won't be easy, square it up and peddle as hard as I can. Bow hits the wave perpendicular and the boat fills with water. Made it through, but am anything but dry lol.

Rig up a cigsicle and duster and start the 1.5 mile peddle to my first spot. Make it all the way there with nothing to show. I did see a few dozen flying fish at the 35ft-40ft depth change. So I kept my eyes peeled for mahi and other surface pelagic's. Get to my spot, get my knocker rig set up and send it down to a lit up depth finder. Tap bottom, reel up, cleaned out. That was my procedure for the next 10-15 mins. Abandon the bottom rig and tie on a 3oz Lucanus. While retying I see a LARGE shark breach about 200 yards off the bow. At first I thought spinner, but the more I think on it the more it looked like a mako.

Anyway, this spot doesn't produce so I move out to the three barges. Get there and I can see surface action and a few turtles bobbing. Threw a jig around the turtles with nothing to show. Drop my lucanus jig to the bottom and I am bowed up. A few seconds later, a healthy trigger pops up. Snap a picture and back to the bottom he goes. I jig around for a while longer with nothing to show but ruby red lips.

I see some surface action. Grab my Penn 3000 spooled with 10lb power pro on an All-Star Wacky Worm rod and a "sexy shad" waxwing. Burn the waxwing through the commotion and the BoBo's don't know what to do with this thing. They are skying on it, blowing up on it, chasing the shit out of it. Finally one gets a hold of it and the fight is on. After a battle of wills and him taking over half the spool on a few runs I tail grab the little Nerf ball. Snap a pic and send him on. Hook up on one more but the hook pulled.

Rig up my yozurie crystal minnow and start the peddle back in. Cross a good current change and get slammed, shook the boat when the rod got hit. It was gone as quick as it hit. Flip the bail and let the minnow sink. Wait for a follow up and nothing. Finish the rest of the peddle with nothing.

Overall the weather was nice. A light breeze with with 1-2 ft swells and 5-6 sec intervals. Start my new job as a ESE paraprofessional and Freshman football coach tomorrow. So I will hopefully have PLENTY of time to chase fish this summer!
Attached Thumbnails
4/14/15- Offshore-11156182_10206472612960609_8959842052865777291_n-jpg   4/14/15- Offshore-11149510_10206472612600600_6337901393164501616_n-jpg  
Realtor and RedLeg like this.

Last edited by BigRed38; 04-14-2015 at 08:14 PM.
BigRed38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Grouper

at least you got on the water! all this rain is killing me!
beachsceneguy likes this.
Ragon210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Panhandle Yeti
Ruby Red Lip

nice report
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Congrats on getting out on the water....another congrats on the new job!!!
BigRed38 likes this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

You saw several fliers in an area and didn't stay to fish it? Tisk tisk!

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

At least you got out, I'm too chicken in this weather!

850-810-2548

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
You saw several fliers in an area and didn't stay to fish it? Tisk tisk!

I know, shame on me. I really should have stuck with that area and started running east-west rather than deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

That's the way to do it!

850-810-2548

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in