20 minutes of chaos (Kings in the Gulf) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree10Likes

Old 10-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
Trigger

Default 20 minutes of chaos (Kings in the Gulf)

After reading Stressless's post this morning, I went and bought a smoker and food saver unit and went fishing for Kings.

Got out to the Gulf and launched about 11am. Brought out 2 rods and started trolling dusters with frozen cig minnows. Got out to about 35ft of water and turned with a big enough radius to get me into 40+ feet of water. Had a Battle 5000 in front of me in the rod holder and a Senator rig behind me. Within 15 minutes, the senator starts screaming. I grab it, tighten it down a bit and it's on. While I'm letting her make her runs, I reel in the other rod still in the holder. After a good fight, I'm getting the gaf out to prepare to land the 3 ft king and SLAM! the 5000 that was dangling in the water gets hit and line is screaming off it now. Behind me is my bait cooler and then my fish bag which I'm trying to get to unsuccessfully. I put the cooler between my legs and got the fish gaffed and tried to get it into the bag which is still under the nylon netting and the stinger hook gets caught in the bungee. So, I have a gaffed 3ft king, stuck half in the yak, half out, tangles everywhere, I'm twisted around far too much to have any muscle to get the fish lifted in....oh, and another 3 ft king is still running, pausing, running, repeat. I tried to reclaim a bunch of line in the 5000 a couple times and set it back into the holder then turned back into getting the first one in the bag. It was a tad bit of chaos. I'm still new to this.

After cutting the lines on the hook, I finally got it bagged enough, threw the cooler on top and started fighting the 2nd fish. This was lighter tackle (Ugly stick GX2) so I didn't want to horse him in. After tiring him out effectively, I gaffed him and dragged him in between my legs and paddled for shore roughly 1/3 mile in. All in all, the trip out lasted about an hour.

So beautiful today out on the Gulf. We live in paradise gents.
Attached Thumbnails
20 minutes of chaos (Kings in the Gulf)-fish-jpg   20 minutes of chaos (Kings in the Gulf)-fish2-jpg   20 minutes of chaos (Kings in the Gulf)-fish-3-jpg  
Salt4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Way to go man! Sounds like you had a blast out there. Wish I had a yak.
Salt4Lifer likes this.
ThaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Snapper

I have had a similar experince once or twice. Same thing happened with the two Mahi in my profile pic. Gets the blood pumping! Nice catch. I know you said your new to this so I'll mention, most folks hold the kings by the other end for pics. Less chance of a slip resulting in stitches.
- Fisherdad1
Salt4Lifer likes this.
Fisherdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
White Marlin

Can't beat that congrats
Salt4Lifer likes this.
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
White Marlin

OK part 1 complete...now fire up that smoker and let's see the results. Don't forget to brine it before ya smoke it!! Great catch. Thanks for the pics.
Salt4Lifer likes this.

MC ...sharing is caring!
Mac1528 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdad1 View Post
I have had a similar experince once or twice. Same thing happened with the two Mahi in my profile pic. Gets the blood pumping! Nice catch. I know you said your new to this so I'll mention, most folks hold the kings by the other end for pics. Less chance of a slip resulting in stitches.
- Fisherdad1
Ahhhhh! Gotcha!
I'm still getting the freshwater thing mixed up
Been here 2 years learning salt...started with Pomps and now it's offshore on a yak Love it! Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1528 View Post
OK part 1 complete...now fire up that smoker and let's see the results. Don't forget to brine it before ya smoke it!! Great catch. Thanks for the pics.
Getting brine ready now! seasoned the smoker and using cherry wood for smoke. Some chunks I'm freezing for fried nuggets (love that too). There is a LOT of meat here lol
Old 10-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Mingo

Nice to see a Wilderness Systems Yak out there. Good job !
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Mingo

Great catch and great post.Looks like a beautiful day of fishing.Nothing like a double hookup in paradise like you said.Thanks for sharing.
Tom044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Grouper

Nice! Yeah, that's the cook thing about kings. Super easy to clean, and nothing but meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake R. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in