2-15 Mid-Bay Bridge Niceville - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By boomyak
  • 2 Post By boomyak

Old 02-16-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
Trigger

Default 2-15 Mid-Bay Bridge Niceville

Hit the water at 1pm, immediately went to 20'+ pilings with live shrimp and wasn't getting many hits. I looked west and saw that pelicans were spread across a large area out in the open bay from a quarter mile to probably around two miles out, but consistently diving on something being pushed up.

So, ten minutes later I'm on top of a seemingly endless school of bait that was so thick my lowrance thought the depth was 10' instead of 24'. Watched the FF as I cruised around looking for schooling reds and sure enough the baitball thins out and those lovely large blips show up. I drop my biggest live shrimp and it was game on with a 33" red. By the time I landed and released it the reds and bait were gone.

I spent about 45 minutes paddling after birds and cruising over the school of bait slow-trolling some heavy lead with shrimp on the bottom but never hooked up again. Headed back to the bridge pilings and dropped a tiny hook with some cut liveshrimp for a sheepshead and got broke off by something big. Rerigged and dropped again and pulled up a 20" 6lb (on the lip-grip scale) sheepshead for dinner. Switched up to my heavier lead for faster jigging after the pinfish destroyed a dozen or so shrimp and continued hitting pilings for a minute or two and moving. This found my second red, a nice eater at 22" but I already had dinner in the cooler so he was released. All the while doing this I kept an eye of the birds to see if they were congregrating in one place and finally they had.

I moved out and found that giant wad of bait again. No large blips on the FF but the birds were still hanging out. So, I hooked up a monster of a shrimp and dropped it to the bottom, as I reached back to put the rod in the flushmount the clicker starts screaming. Five minutes later I had a very tired 37" red. By then the bait and reds had moved on again.

I hit the pilings some more for about half an hour to see if there were more sheepshead, but I couldn't get any hookups. I didn't bother hitting Pippin Lake in search of trout this time, I couldn't find a speck if one swam up and bit me in the #@&!!
azevedo16 and 1700roadie like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Trigger

No pics, but here's a little compilation of the footage from the last couple months fishing out at the bridge. The last couple fish were from yesterday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTRf0WvHthQ
500mike and USMCEOD like this.

Last edited by boomyak; 02-16-2015 at 06:39 PM.
boomyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Mingo

Nice video. Makes me look forward to hunting season ending.
polhlor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Default Nice Post

Boomyak,

Awesome work and great video. I saw you out there yesterday. I was in the deck boat with 2 other guys and we waved to you. We saw those consistent diving pelicans but chose to ignore. I'm glad one of us made the right choice!

We trolled the bridge with no luck and eventually anchored in about 34' of water and caught 6 black drum and one sheepshead. Almost all the drum were 25-26" range. Sheepshead was about 16". We kept one 24" drum and the sheepy, threw the rest back. I only have this picture of these two drum, which were both released.

Don't worry! We tried Pippin after the bridge and it was a huge waste of time.

I used to live in Niceville and consistently fished from White Point from the yak in 2004-2007ish. Now I live in Navarre so I'm exploring new stuff over here. However, I still fish in Niceville a lot. If I see you out there again I'll say hey. I'm usually in an old school yellow Ocean Kayak Trident 13.
Attached Thumbnails
2-15 Mid-Bay Bridge Niceville-photo-jpg  
YaksMan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Trigger

Thanks! Nice haul of black drum.

Yeah, I see a lot of people troll the bridge, I personally haven't had much luck trolling artificials though. Did you anchor up near the "junk reef" east of the bridge? I've only got a couple spots marked away from the bridge, seems like mud bottom for the most part with what I like to think are washers and dryers scattered here and there. Glad to hear the black drum are still cruising in numbers, I figured they'd be around the bridge but I haven't landed one in a few months.

That's my go to spot until the flats and Gulf warms up, so I'll be there pretty frequently til April. You ever try night fishing that area? I'm wondering if it's worth it, since mid-bay doesn't have lights to attract all the bait to the surface.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Sailfish

Nice video. Thanks of sharing it.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

BOOM.

sweet video I love it!!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Nice Video BoomYak, now get Kurt out so he can have some Happiness!!!
USMCEOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Where is the best place to launch a yak on the north side of the mid bay bridge, without an military ID? Thanks
1700roadie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
Trigger

I'm fairly certain you can buy the fishing/hunting/rec pass without a military ID from the Jackson Guard office (go to Google Maps and search "eglin afb natural resources" off highway 85.) Their website is http://jacksonguard.com and I'd call the office number to be sure. This gives you access to White Point (Maxwell-Gunther Recreation Area) from sunrise to sunset (as well as a ton of other places.) Launching from the campground is another story because it's for DoD ID cardholders only.

Otherwise, I don't really know a spot, most of the other areas nearby are private residences with no direct access without trespassing. I've heard a couple guys say they park in the back of Legendary (southern shore) and launch out of there, but I don't know how the marina employees feel about that.

Last edited by boomyak; 02-20-2015 at 09:23 PM.
boomyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in