10-21 Blackwater - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Grouper

Default 10-21 Blackwater

Got to fish yesterday morning for a few hours. It was a little chilly getting out but ended up being a really nice morning.

Fished topwater and after three or four casts I had a fish on. I knew it was a large fish and it was heavy, but not really fighting. I thought maybe it was a big gar since I've seen a lot of them the last few times out. I got him near enough to the kayak to see him after about ten minutes and saw that it was a big red. I'm not sure how big he was but 40" would probably be a safe floor. He would have been, by far, the biggest red I've caught.

He dove back to bottom after this and pulled me out to the edge of the flat. He basically just held the bottom under the kayak and slowly dragged me around for a while. He was just too heavy for me to gain any line on I couldn't get him off the bottom. He finally pulled off after 20 minutes or so. I would have liked to have a picture but I was glad he was off. I wasn't getting anywhere and wanted to get back to fishing.

Next fish was caught under some birds and he was 30" or so. My stick stops at 27", and he was a little over. Two more slot reds caught topwater, one 24" and one I didn't measure. One bass and one nasty a-- slimy catfish were the other fish that made it to the side of the kayak.

There were sheephead all over the mud flats too if anyone's looking for them. I probably saw 30 or so in a couple of hours.

Turned out to be a beautiful day to be on the water and it looks like today is just as nice.
Attached Thumbnails
10-21 Blackwater-dscf0005-jpg  
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
White Marlin

Sweet report. I live in Milton and like to fish blackwater. Are you fishing north of I10 or south? Thanks
chaps is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps View Post
Sweet report. I live in Milton and like to fish blackwater. Are you fishing north of I10 or south? Thanks
I always do better south of I 10. I fished the north when I first moved here and only caught bass. It may get better as it cools off though, but I can't say for sure since I don't fish there anymore.

I've had really good luck in the area the last couple of months; much better than last year. I don't know if it's fishier or if I'm just learning the area. It should start heating up around now, so it's a good time to live here.

I'd be glad to show you some spots if you want to go sometime. Unfortunately, this was my last trip until the end of November. I have to go back to Korea for a month for work.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in