#1 Jumped Tarpon - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

Like Tree10Likes

Old 07-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Trigger

Default #1 Jumped Tarpon

After several recent trips dragging different lures around I finally had my first approx 1 min battle this morning. Was trolling a swim bait on my dedicated Tarpon rod and reel and was thumping the bottom with a 1/4 oz DOA Terror Eyes on a much lighter rod and reel. I didn't have my GoPro set up so the video is rough but you can see the St. Croix Avid 7HF in action and hear the drag, and finally in the last 2 seconds you can make out it's final jump barely in far left field of view. By the time I got my Gopro and boom in rod holder it had already jumped 3-4 times. I have been specifically targeting these fish for several outings now but when it finally happened I was sort of in shock and it took me several seconds to realize what was going on. He sort of made a half loop, away from me initially and then away and then parallel before the knot failed between my braid and Mono leader on final jump. I have never had a leader pull away from my braid using the same knot till today. I normally don't use Mono though either for leader. The braid didn't fail I still had my doubled line loop at end. Any way it was fantastic to me and I don't really care that I didn't land it I was just glad that it finally happened and that one of my son's was close enough in his boat to see it jump. Hoping to have a short video and couple images in next day or two. Good luck to all.
fishboy and Fishing Grandpa like this.

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Pushing the Limits of time.
Ptpainton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Yepper, that's all I have ever done was hook em watch em jump a few times then curse like the dickens cause I don't set the hook hard enough!!!! It's an awesome experience just watching one sky!!!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Default You said it right.

" I don't really care that I didn't land it I was just glad that it finally happened and that one of my son's was close enough in his boat to see it jump."

I'd like to have a nickle for all I have purposely broken off to save their lives--or mine.

BTW, be very careful of pulling your yak up to a green fish. It can be hurtful or maybe even deadly for each of you(ya'll)

Congrats. Be very thankful we still have Tarpon. My favorite fish.
Ptpainton and Fishing Grandpa like this.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Snapper

I love how you describe being surprised when they hit, despite going for them. That happens to me every time I haven't been fishing in a while and something bends my rod over. Bummer about the knot, I suppose tarpon are the biggest test for our gear and rigging. Must have been fun, good work
Ptpainton and Fishing Grandpa like this.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptpainton View Post
By the time I got my Gopro and boom in rod holder it had already jumped 3-4 times.
Maybe if you concentrated more of fishing than filming yourself fishing, you'd up the odds. Probably.
Dunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Trigger

Default What did your Mother tell you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunt View Post
Maybe if you concentrated more of fishing than filming yourself fishing, you'd up the odds. Probably.
"if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all" Maybe if you remembered this you would be a better?

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
" I don't really care that I didn't land it I was just glad that it finally happened and that one of my son's was close enough in his boat to see it jump."

I'd like to have a nickle for all I have purposely broken off to save their lives--or mine.

BTW, be very careful of pulling your yak up to a green fish. It can be hurtful or maybe even deadly for each of you(ya'll)

Congrats. Be very thankful we still have Tarpon. My favorite fish.
??possible the most, and longest protected species around
Deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #8
Trigger

Default Vid Link

As the slow motion starts look far left for the last jump!

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,
Old 08-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptpainton View Post
"if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all" Maybe if you remembered this you would be a better?
Just helping, brah. It's funny how many people have to film themselves these days. It's even funnier that it made you lose a fish.
Dunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Trigger

Default Not funny and good by Dunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunt View Post
Just helping, brah. It's funny how many people have to film themselves these days. It's even funnier that it made you lose a fish.
Lost the fish because my leader to main line came apart when he landed on the line. I don't see anything funny about it but thats why it's called fishing and not catching. I just figured out i can add Dunt to my ignore list and I don't have to see any of his post again and I think that is AWESOME!! Good by Dunt.
Dunt likes this.

Ptpainton
Hobie PA 14,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in