Live2Fish SUP - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Reviews

Old 08-18-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Live2Fish SUP

I know its a paddle board, not a kayak but there is not a paddle board area here. A little back story before I get into my review of the live2fish. I Used to have a Hobie PA, the older version bought it back in 2011 and had it for a long time, put a couple miles on it.
I have since sold the PA, it slowly became not the reason I wanted a kayak to fish out of. Something minimal, stable, economical, doesn’t bust your ass trying to launch and recover, etc. I found with the more room I had the more I wanted to fill that room up with stuff I really did not need in order to go fishing. It almost became a hazard, there was no way with all that stuff if I rolled it off shore I was going to right it by myself. I sold it with the intent of replacing it with the outback and ended up going a completely different direction.
I was surf fishing last summer and saw a guy with a live2fish SUP. I had just sold my PA and was about to buy the camo version of the Outback. I checked it out and figured for my purpose this might be the right way to go. I rarely use my spinning rods anymore and have been exclusively fly fishing for the past 4 years or so. The live2fish offered a tangle free area for fly lines, easier casting for fly fishing (backcast not hitting the water) a better view for sight fishing, easily transported and righted in case of tipping over. It is pretty sea worthy, cuts through chop but is not something I would take out when the current is ripping. (This is where I miss the PA) In the bay it is pretty awesome, I don’t miss my PA here.
It is built pretty good and is more of a kayak construction than a SUP, and is built here in FL so that is a plus for me. It has some kind of gel coat paint that does scratch fairly easily which is probably the only ding on construction I would give it. As compared to other paddle boards it is a beast, but I can still carry it with one hand as long as it is not windy. (I ended up buying a cart with beach wheels, which makes it 10x easier) It does have accessory tracks that you can put what ever you want on it. I have been refraining from that and only put a paddle and rod holder on it. The top is covered in some type of sea dek, which makes it pretty comfy on the feet. All in all I am pretty happy with it and don’t regret my decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Live2Fish SUP-7f199635-2825-477e-b957-bb816b903372-png  

Last edited by wyld3man; 08-18-2019 at 03:03 AM.
wyld3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 03:13 AM   #2
Mingo

Pics

The pic in the bay is typically how I load it out for bay fishing. I have been recently leaving the hobie crate and net at home, trying cut to weight where I can. Off the beach I like to leave it slick but the Kula bucket has been coming out with me more there, it makes a good seat and a place to keep beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Live2Fish SUP-0f023eff-66d7-40bb-9e12-23bff60c55dc-jpeg   Live2Fish SUP-9487874a-9d10-414d-ae2e-87cfac9abf47-jpeg   Live2Fish SUP-cd6dbf12-e279-489b-82da-cb2935f83eb1-jpeg  
Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
Mingo

Pics I dug up from my PA.
Attached Thumbnails
Live2Fish SUP-09a72777-2640-4bbc-91d4-c0957ab3646a-jpeg   Live2Fish SUP-67f058b2-18f0-4b3a-9810-e1f38069269f-jpeg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #4
Sailfish

Nice! Looks very stable. I like the top deck just need to add a transom on the back and a small motor
kahala boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 AM   #5
Grouper

Nice review. I've been looking hard at them for a while; seems like a great fly fishing platform. I got excited when I saw your post thinking you had one for sale :-) I'd really like to have one later this year to haul to the keys. Couldn't tell you how many opportunities I missed at bonefish getting my line wrapped up in my old PA.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Mingo

Thanks, fly fishing is one area that SUP has over kayaks.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahala boy View Post
Nice! Looks very stable. I like the top deck just need to add a transom on the back and a small motor
Live2fish actually makes both a removable motor mount and a livewell as options !
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in